POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.animations : POV-Ray + Google Streetview Server Time
19 Apr 2024 22:04:25 EDT (-0400)
  POV-Ray + Google Streetview (Message 1 to 8 of 8)
From: RobF
Subject: POV-Ray + Google Streetview
Date: 12 Nov 2010 00:25:01
Message: <web.4cdcceced2c7b70e42eda7880@news.povray.org>
+ some Java code + a bit of Javascript + a lot of patience =

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pCKmdi5-HQw

Cheers,

Rob.
http://www.fitzel.ca/dart/

Post a reply to this message

From: Kyle
Subject: Re: POV-Ray + Google Streetview
Date: 12 Nov 2010 16:38:38
Message: <4cddb3de$1@news.povray.org>
On 11/12/2010 12:21 AM, RobF wrote:

> + some Java code + a bit of Javascript + a lot of patience =
>
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pCKmdi5-HQw

That was really cool!  Nice work!

Post a reply to this message

From: Christian Froeschlin
Date: 12 Nov 2010 19:17:13
Message: <4cddd909@news.povray.org>
RobF wrote:

> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pCKmdi5-HQw

Impressive ... I think? I'm actually not quite sure
what you did here. Do I understand correctly that Google
fits a car with GPS and cameras, takes it on a tour,
processes the images to make panoramic views available
in Google Maps, you download all of them for the entire
route by script and then use POV-Ray to project then
onto an environment cube or sphere so it looks like
you were in the car?

Post a reply to this message

> Impressive ... I think? I'm actually not quite sure
> what you did here. Do I understand correctly that Google
> fits a car with GPS and cameras, takes it on a tour,
> processes the images to make panoramic views available
> in Google Maps, you download all of them for the entire
> route by script and then use POV-Ray to project then
> onto an environment cube or sphere so it looks like
> you were in the car?

That's pretty much correct. Each panorama is made of a number of square tiles
(512x512 pixels). I used POV-Ray to stitch them together. The merged panorama is
already a spherical projection, so I wrapped the panorama image around a sphere
and placed the camera inside.

The nice thing about the spherical panorama is that it allows the camera to
rotate in any direction, making an animation a bit more interesting (for
example, banking while turning around a sharp corner). In addition, objects
placed inside the panorama will reflect their environment correctly.

Cheers,

Rob.
---
http://www.fitzel.ca/dart

Post a reply to this message

> placed inside the panorama will reflect their environment correctly.

  Well, "correctly" only if you assume that the environment is infinitely
away (which of course it isn't, as eg. the ground is just a few meters
away from the camera).

--
                                                          - Warp

Post a reply to this message