POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.animations : detect totally black output Server Time
16 Apr 2024 07:09:33 EDT (-0400)
  detect totally black output (Message 1 to 4 of 4)
From: CAD-Andi
Subject: detect totally black output
Date: 20 Sep 2010 17:45:00
Message: <web.4c97d59d21eec7bebf952ed30@news.povray.org>
I'm rendering a series of test images as an animation and would like to omit the
pictures that did not result in any pixel data (they are actually totally black)
is there a way to detect this right after the rendering process in povray or do
I have to weed the pictures out after the animation is rendered?

Thanks,

Andi

Post a reply to this message

> I'm rendering a series of test images as an animation and would like to omit the
> pictures that did not result in any pixel data (they are actually totally black)
> is there a way to detect this right after the rendering process in povray or do
> I have to weed the pictures out after the animation is rendered?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Andi

Hmm, I guess this question was a little too lame. I found my solution though.
After the animation is rendered I simply check for the picture with the least
bytes, and then get rid of all images that have the same byte amount. Seems to
be working great. ...

I guess there is no way to detect that within povray to speed up things.

Andi

Post a reply to this message

> Hmm, I guess this question was a little too lame. I found my solution though.
> After the animation is rendered I simply check for the picture with the least
> bytes, and then get rid of all images that have the same byte amount. Seems to
> be working great. ...

Unless you render a scene in which no frame is totally black ;)

I don't think there is a faster way within povray. You could,
of course, when rendering frame n, load the image (n-1) as an
image_map and test all of its pixels using eval_pigment ;)

Post a reply to this message

> > Hmm, I guess this question was a little too lame. I found my solution though.
> > After the animation is rendered I simply check for the picture with the least
> > bytes, and then get rid of all images that have the same byte amount. Seems to
> > be working great. ...
>
> Unless you render a scene in which no frame is totally black ;)
>
> I don't think there is a faster way within povray. You could,
> of course, when rendering frame n, load the image (n-1) as an
> image_map and test all of its pixels using eval_pigment ;)

Hmmm ... eval_pigment ... interesting, will look into it. Thanks!