POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.animations : Long parsing time due to large SDL code and large image maps. Server Time
29 Mar 2024 01:09:56 EDT (-0400)
  Long parsing time due to large SDL code and large image maps. (Message 1 to 7 of 7)
From: CAD-Andi
Subject: Long parsing time due to large SDL code and large image maps.
Date: 20 Jun 2010 13:45:00
Message: <web.4c1e4a172e9640c57fa521e30@news.povray.org>
Hello!

My Situation:

I'm rendering animations with very large SDL code (60Mb+). It takes about 3
minutes for the parsing process. My data are meshes of smooth triangles
converted from vrml files generated by a different software application. On top

rendering time of 1 frame is about 30 seconds.

Questions:

Can parsing be skipped when rendering a camera animation where nothing else is
changing? (I'm aware of the real time raytracing with "clockless" animation, but
this is useless for me ever since it does not save the result to disc.)

Is there meanwhile a out of the box solution to "cache" large images for image
mapping? Unfortunately I'm not a programmer like Brent Fraser who simply
implemented this back in 2008 for his own need (see Message
<4930353d$1@news.povray.org>).

Is it thinkable to implement something into SDL like a "permanent" or "static"
keyword/command that would designate geometry that will never change during the
animation and for that reason needs to be parsed only once? Again, I'm not a C
programmer, but I know implementing something that sounds so simple can be a
huge task. On the other side I don't think I'm the only one wishing for a
function like that. I bet it would be appreciated by many.

Any help or suggestions?
Thanks!

Andi

Post a reply to this message

> Is there meanwhile a out of the box solution to "cache" large images for image
> mapping? Unfortunately I'm not a programmer like Brent Fraser who simply
> implemented this back in 2008 for his own need (see Message
> <4930353d$1@news.povray.org>).

Unfortunately there is no way yet except for hacking up the POV-Ray
source code (or find someone who has done that already).

Post a reply to this message