POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.animations : BMP and TGA to AVI utilities Server Time
25 Apr 2024 03:12:35 EDT (-0400)
  BMP and TGA to AVI utilities (Message 1 to 9 of 9)
From: Marshmellow
Subject: BMP and TGA to AVI utilities
Date: 19 Jul 2008 22:05:00
Message: <web.48829c2f1635a4a6d6d274040@news.povray.org>
I have been away from PovRay animation for a while and I find that my bmp and
tga to avi utilities do not work on Windows XP (I know, I know I should flee
all Windows software like the plague) and I don't seem to be able to find
anything suitable on line. What's available and where do I get it? Or have
PovRay animation techniques passed beyond that?

Thanks for any help,

MM

Post a reply to this message

Marshmellow <dhb### [at] cherokeetelnet> wrote:
> I have been away from PovRay animation for a while and I find that my bmp and
> tga to avi utilities do not work on Windows XP (I know, I know I should flee
> all Windows software like the plague) and I don't seem to be able to find
> anything suitable on line. What's available and where do I get it? Or have
> PovRay animation techniques passed beyond that?

  Use VirtualDub. (Although it might not be immediately obvious that it
can support converting a series of images into an AVI.)

--
                                                          - Warp

Post a reply to this message

> Marshmellow <dhb### [at] cherokeetelnet> wrote:
> > I have been away from PovRay animation for a while and I find that my bmp and
> > tga to avi utilities do not work on Windows XP (I know, I know I should flee
> > all Windows software like the plague) and I don't seem to be able to find
> > anything suitable on line. What's available and where do I get it? Or have
> > PovRay animation techniques passed beyond that?
>
>   Use VirtualDub. (Although it might not be immediately obvious that it
> can support converting a series of images into an AVI.)
>
> --
>                                                           - Warp

Thanks, I'll try it. I have Adobe Premier Elements which one ought to be able to
use, but I have difficulty reading online documentation and Dell from whom I
bought it won't supply a manual.

-David (I'm going to drop the psuedonym)

Post a reply to this message

> Marshmellow <dhb### [at] cherokeetelnet> wrote:
> > I have been away from PovRay animation for a while and I find that my bmp and
> > tga to avi utilities do not work on Windows XP (I know, I know I should flee
> > all Windows software like the plague) and I don't seem to be able to find
> > anything suitable on line. What's available and where do I get it? Or have
> > PovRay animation techniques passed beyond that?
>
>   Use VirtualDub. (Although it might not be immediately obvious that it
> can support converting a series of images into an AVI.)
>
> --
>                                                           - Warp

(My previous reply doesn't seem to have shown up.)

Thanks for the suggestion. I tried it; It certainly isn't obvious how to use it
to convert a series of images to AVI. My eyesight is such that the online
documentation and tiny mysterious icons  make VirtualDub virtually useless to
me. I
need something that simply does the task required without bells and whistle and
Microsoft-like complication and obscurity. But the day of that kind of software
seems to have passed.
-David

Post a reply to this message

On Sun, 20 Jul 2008 15:46:59 EDT, "Marshmellow" <dhb### [at] cherokeetelnet> wrote:

>(My previous reply doesn't seem to have shown up.)

I can see it but if you are using a web browser it takes longer than you think
for it to show up :)

>Thanks for the suggestion. I tried it; It certainly isn't obvious how to use it
>to convert a series of images to AVI. My eyesight is such that the online
>documentation and tiny mysterious icons  make VirtualDub virtually useless to
>me. I
>need something that simply does the task required without bells and whistle and
>Microsoft-like complication and obscurity. But the day of that kind of software
>seems to have passed.
>-David

Hi David, If you want to make Mpegs instead you could try TMPGenc which has a
bigger font size and uses an input box with a browse function. The documentation
is pretty poor but I find its usage quite intuitive. And you can always ask for
help here :)

 http://www.tmpgenc.net/en/index.html

--

Regards
     Stephen

Post a reply to this message

From: David H  Burns
Date: 22 Jul 2008 08:57:53
Message: <4885d951$1@news.povray.org>
> Hi David, If you want to make Mpegs instead you could try TMPGenc which has a
> bigger font size and uses an input box with a browse function. The documentation
> is pretty poor but I find its usage quite intuitive. And you can always ask for
> help here :)
>
>  http://www.tmpgenc.net/en/index.html

Thanks, Stephen,

TMPGen seems to be easy to use and work well. On further searching the
Web, I found
several conversion programs. One is ImagetoAvi which is also easy to use
and seems to
work well. It's available in an older freeware version and an enhanced
shareware version.

Apparently the older conversion programs I used, as well as some other
programs, don't work
on XP because of its flaky 16 bit "emulator".

Thanks again,

David

Post a reply to this message

From: Stephen
Date: 22 Jul 2008 11:19:35
Message: <fjub84htar10j7r5gugt45ic11bt7k1vqc@4ax.com>
On Tue, 22 Jul 2008 07:58:07 -0500, "David H. Burns" <dhb### [at] cherokeetelnet>
wrote:

>Thanks, Stephen,
>
>TMPGen seems to be easy to use and work well. On further searching the
>Web, I found
>several conversion programs. One is ImagetoAvi which is also easy to use
>and seems to
>work well. It's available in an older freeware version and an enhanced
>shareware version.
>
>Apparently the older conversion programs I used, as well as some other
>programs, don't work
>on XP because of its flaky 16 bit "emulator".
>
>Thanks again,

My pleasure David, If you do want to use TMPGen and PNGs then you will need to
download a VFAPI plugin called vfpng.vfp. The location can be found in
"resources" on the Povray.org site. IIRC

--

Regards
     Stephen

Post a reply to this message

From: Peter Hertel
Date: 11 Aug 2008 15:35:00
Message: <web.48a0943ae539b1d0a117bd700@news.povray.org>
"Marshmellow" <dhb### [at] cherokeetelnet> wrote:
> I have been away from PovRay animation for a while and I find that my bmp and
> tga to avi utilities do not work on Windows XP (I know, I know I should flee
> all Windows software like the plague) and I don't seem to be able to find
> anything suitable on line. What's available and where do I get it? Or have
> PovRay animation techniques passed beyond that?
>
> Thanks for any help,
>
> MM

I like monkeyjam.
http://www.giantscreamingrobotmonkeys.com/monkeyjam/index.html

http://news.povray.org/web.47c01eb8578137bf5116a38d0%40news.povray.org

-Peter

Post a reply to this message

From: gregjohn
Date: 23 Aug 2008 12:30:00
Message: <web.48b03a23e539b1d034d207310@news.povray.org>
"Marshmellow" <dhb### [at] cherokeetelnet> wrote:=n up.)

> Thanks for the suggestion. I tried it; It certainly isn't obvious how to use it
> to convert a series of images to AVI. My eyesight is such that the online
> documentation and tiny mysterious icons  make VirtualDub virtually useless to
> me.

In Virtual Dub,

File-->Open Video File,
Select only first bitmap (YOURIMGxx0001) of your sequence (YOURIMGxx001-n), then
Open.

File--> Save as AVI.