POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.animations : putting on new shoes and shirts Server Time
25 Apr 2024 00:02:33 EDT (-0400)
  putting on new shoes and shirts (Message 1 to 3 of 3)
From: melo
Subject: putting on new shoes and shirts
Date: 23 Mar 2008 18:15:00
Message: <web.47e6e3b5bf444b69314b3d800@news.povray.org>
Now that I am able to bring Pow people into my scene file, other than one
parse error that I get with one of the characters.

I was ready to read up on Figure Control Files and see if I could figure out
how to put sneakers rather than ppboots.   Even with ppalf with ppstyle2,
his/her heals appeared raised as if s/he was ready to wear boots.

How could I tell her to lower her heals, via her ankle joint, or via the ball of
her ball, but then you don't have any animation control joints at the ball of
your humanoids' feet that I could tell.  May be your "FirstToeBaseJointRef"
is it?  Might you have ana anatomical diagram where you labeled each joint with
the names you used in your application?

By my cursory galance at the ppboot1.inc, I was not able to figure out how to
modify it to turn it into  a sneakers.  Even if I set the
#declare ppHeelHeight        = 0.02;
something small, I was not sure what else, how to remove the legging, etc.

I wonder the questions I know have are due to my being pretty new to POV-RAY as
well?

Any recommendations on how to put a form fitting sweatshirt, may be a latext
one, on a character?

Thanks,
Mel

Post a reply to this message

> Now that I am able to bring Pow people into my scene file, other than one
> parse error that I get with one of the characters.
>
> I was ready to read up on Figure Control Files and see if I could figure out
> how to put sneakers rather than ppboots.   Even with ppalf with ppstyle2,
> his/her heals appeared raised as if s/he was ready to wear boots.
>
> How could I tell her to lower her heals, via her ankle joint, or via the ball
> of her foott, but then you don't have any animation control joints at the
> balls of your humanoids' feet that I could tell.  May be >
> your "FirstToeBaseJointRef" is it?  Might you have an anatomical
> diagram where you labeled each joint with the names you used in your
> application?
>
> By my cursory galance at the ppboot1.inc, I was not able to figure out how to
> modify it to turn it into  a sneakers.  Even if I set the
> #declare ppHeelHeight        = 0.02;
> something small, I was not sure what else, how to remove the legging, etc.
>
> I wonder the questions I know have are due to my being pretty new to POV-RAY
> as well?
>
> Any recommendations on how to put a form fitting sweatshirt on a character,
> may be a latext one, on a character?
>
> Thanks,
> Mel

Post a reply to this message

"melo" <mel### [at] coxnet> wrote in message
> Now that I am able to bring Pow people into my scene file, other than one
> parse error that I get with one of the characters.
>
> I was ready to read up on Figure Control Files and see if I could figure
> out
> how to put sneakers rather than ppboots.   Even with ppalf with ppstyle2,
> his/her heals appeared raised as if s/he was ready to wear boots.
>
> How could I tell her to lower her heals, via her ankle joint, or via the
> ball of
> her ball, but then you don't have any animation control joints at the ball
> of
> your humanoids' feet that I could tell.  May be your
> "FirstToeBaseJointRef"
> is it?  Might you have ana anatomical diagram where you labeled each joint
> with
> the names you used in your application?
>
> By my cursory galance at the ppboot1.inc, I was not able to figure out how
> modify it to turn it into  a sneakers.  Even if I set the
> #declare ppHeelHeight        = 0.02;
> something small, I was not sure what else, how to remove the legging, etc.
>
> I wonder the questions I know have are due to my being pretty new to
> POV-RAY as
> well?
>
> Any recommendations on how to put a form fitting sweatshirt, may be a
> latext
> one, on a character?
>
> Thanks,
> Mel

Hi Mel,

Sorry for the delay. It's a bit of a busy time.

As you've seen, modifying existing clothing is done through the control
variables applicable to that type of clothing, so the ppHeelHeight can be
reduced without changing the definition in the clothing file. Although quite
a few variables are exposed, the height of the fabric covering the leg isn't
one of them. This is hardcoded on line 127 of 'ppboot1.inc' where it's set
to be 0.8 times the length of the calf (where '1' times the calf height
would be the height of the knee).

Where you need to do something beyond the capability of the existing item of
clothing you can create a new one by copying an existing file and adjusting
it. You'll also need to copy an outfit file to point to your new clothing
items. So you could copy 'ppoutfit1.inc' to 'meloutfit1.inc' and change
"ppboots1.inc" to "sneakers.inc". In your 'sneakers.inc' file (a copy of
'ppboots1.inc') you can then either change line 127 to something small like
0.03 times the calf height, or you could comment out line 484  which adds
the fabric covering the leg into the 'ppBoot1' object.

Generating a whole new item of clothing requires quite a reasonable level of
understanding of POV-Ray and how macros, arrays etc. work. You can get some
way towards a solution by just copying existing stuff, but it's still likely
to take quite some time to get it working.

To generate a form fitting sweatshirt you could set up a new item of
clothing by copying the file 'ppshirts1.inc' (which generates a shirt
without arms). Comment out lines 239 and 240 which trim the shoulder holes.
To add sleeves you'd need to copy a section of code, for example the section
that generates the bit of shirt to cover the chest (ppChest). This is 8
lines of SDL starting a at line 147.

It's a bit complicated, but it basically takes the definition of the body
part that you want to wrap the clothing around. It calls the 'ppLimbScan'
macro to 'scan' it and store the results in an array, the
'ppAddOffSetToArray' macro to lift the points a bit above the surface of the
object and the 'ppMesh2FromArray' macro to generate an object from the
array. I'd delete the ppStitchArrays macro call which is designed to make
perfect joins, but which would be difficult to do at the shoulders.

Regards,
Chris B.