POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.animations : Blobman? Server Time
28 Mar 2024 09:01:11 EDT (-0400)
  Blobman? (Message 1 to 4 of 4)
From: melo
Subject: Blobman?
Date: 15 Feb 2008 02:00:05
Message: <web.47b537eb959d401792254edf0@news.povray.org>
Hello,

I keep hearing about a Blobman, a few web links took me to a few msgs saying the
web site was offline.

Is there some place else where it can be found/downloaded?

Is it a CSG union of BLOB objects?  or polygonal mesh?

I need some POV-RAY sources for my moving skeletal as his/her skin.

Is there some way to assign different age/gender/anthropology attributes to
BlobMan?  Can it be a boy/girl/man/woman/white/black/Asian/etc?

Thanks,
Meltem

Post a reply to this message

"melo" <mel### [at] coxnet> wrote in message
> Hello,
>
> I keep hearing about a Blobman, a few web links took me to a few msgs
> saying the
> web site was offline.
>
> Is there some place else where it can be found/downloaded?
>
> Is it a CSG union of BLOB objects?  or polygonal mesh?
>
> I need some POV-RAY sources for my moving skeletal as his/her skin.
>
> Is there some way to assign different age/gender/anthropology attributes
> BlobMan?  Can it be a boy/girl/man/woman/white/black/Asian/etc?
>
> Thanks,
> Meltem

The only place I know of where you can still get a copy of Blobman is
Blobman 4.2 which is on the povray.binaries.utilities newsgroup from 2002.
http://news.povray.org/povray.binaries.utilities/thread/%3C3d35eec1%40news.povray.org%3E/

Each movable body part in Blobman is made up of a set of blobs. There was a
male and a female body, but I don't recollect whether there was any control
over the attributes. I would imagine that the skin colour could readily be
changed.

The first version of POV-Person was just a head of my own making stuck onto
the Blobman 4.2 bodies, so you can see what the alternative Blobman body
shapes are in the sample rendering at
http://www.telinco.co.uk/c_bartlett/povperson/povperson.jpg. The upside down
man and the lady lying down in the background in that scene still have the
original 2 Blobman heads, (which I thought looked terrible).

When I started developing POV-Person back in 2004 I tried contacting the
author (Peter Houston), but none of the mailboxes led anywhere. Because I
couldn't contact the author and the terms of use of Blobman were not clearly
defined I set about creating new body parts for subsequent releases of
POV-Person. Those are also mostly blobs in the current version of
POV-Person, except for the head (face, hair, eyes, teeth, ears etc) and the
finger and toe nails.

Regards,
Chris B.

Post a reply to this message

"Chris B" <nom### [at] nomailcom> wrote:
> "melo" <mel### [at] coxnet> wrote in message
> > Hello,
> >
> > I keep hearing about a Blobman, a few web links took me to a few msgs
> > saying the
> > web site was offline.
> >
> > Is there some place else where it can be found/downloaded?
> >
> > Is it a CSG union of BLOB objects?  or polygonal mesh?
> >
> > I need some POV-RAY sources for my moving skeletal as his/her skin.
> >
> > Is there some way to assign different age/gender/anthropology attributes
> > BlobMan?  Can it be a boy/girl/man/woman/white/black/Asian/etc?
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Meltem

Thank you so very much.  I downloaded blobman/woman 4.2.   I hope I can rig him
& her around my skeletalPerson and see whether s/he moves.  The poses you put
BlobPerson with your heads are really cool examples of what could be done with
POV-RAY, on the character animation front.  Sounds like rigging is going to br
way easy, if different body parts are easily identifyable in the code.

Now, asking too much, could we incoporate muscle deformations during movement
into blobPerson, a blob object could allow it depending on how it is set up I
presume.

> The only place I know of where you can still get a copy of Blobman is
> Blobman 4.2 which is on the povray.binaries.utilities newsgroup from 2002.

http://news.povray.org/povray.binaries.utilities/thread/%3C3d35eec1%40news.povray.org%3E/

Thanks, the string of emails talking about websiter not being available
contained a link to download blobbie, sorry can't help it I like giving cute
names to characters to be animated.

> Each movable body part in Blobman is made up of a set of blobs. There was a
> male and a female body, but I don't recollect whether there was any control
> over the attributes. I would imagine that the skin colour could readily be
> changed.

I hope I can find a good tutorial on textures/finishes, I have been delaying
touching that topic.   There is just so much to be learned.

> The first version of POV-Person was just a head of my own making stuck onto
> the Blobman 4.2 bodies, so you can see what the alternative Blobman body
> shapes are in the sample rendering at
> http://www.telinco.co.uk/c_bartlett/povperson/povperson.jpg. The upside down
> man and the lady lying down in the background in that scene still have the
> original 2 Blobman heads, (which I thought looked terrible).

I think they look cute.
Do you mind sharing the code used to create that good examples of using blobman
and PovPerson together?

> When I started developing POV-Person back in 2004 I tried contacting the
> author (Peter Houston), but none of the mailboxes led anywhere. Because I
> couldn't contact the author and the terms of use of Blobman were not clearly
> defined I set about creating new body parts for subsequent releases of
> POV-Person. Those are also mostly blobs in the current version of
> POV-Person, except for the head (face, hair, eyes, teeth, ears etc) and the
> finger and toe nails.

Did not you mention some clothing items?  Hair color possibilities?

Thanks Chris,

Meltem

Post a reply to this message

"melo" <mel### [at] coxnet> wrote in message >
> Thank you so very much.  I downloaded blobman/woman 4.2.
> Now, asking too much, could we incoporate muscle deformations during
> movement
> into blobPerson, a blob object could allow it depending on how it is set
> up I
> presume.
>

>> The first version of POV-Person was just a head of my own making stuck
>> onto
>> the Blobman 4.2 bodies, so you can see what the alternative Blobman body
>> shapes are in the sample rendering at
>> http://www.telinco.co.uk/c_bartlett/povperson/povperson.jpg. The upside
>> down
>> man and the lady lying down in the background in that scene still have
>> the
>> original 2 Blobman heads, (which I thought looked terrible).
>
> I think they look cute.
> Do you mind sharing the code used to create that good examples of using
> blobman
> and PovPerson together?

The code for that is on the same web site at
http://www.telinco.co.uk/c_bartlett/povperson/head/index.htm
There's a download file titled 'Examples of using the BlobMan Interface' and
the 'Adapter for using with BlobMan Macros'.

> Did not you mention some clothing items?  Hair color possibilities?

The hair I did back then is shown here:
http://www.telinco.co.uk/c_bartlett/povperson/head/hairsamples.htm

The second version of povperson at http://www.geocities.com/povperson/
includes all of the hair from my first release plus additional hairstyles
and clothing as well as animation scripts etc.

Regards,
Chris B.