POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.animations : Feature request: progressive frame rendering Server Time
17 May 2024 06:44:21 EDT (-0400)
  Feature request: progressive frame rendering (Message 1 to 1 of 1)
From: Lucas V  Barbosa
Subject: Feature request: progressive frame rendering
Date: 4 Oct 2006 20:55:00
Message: <web.4524577a729aba3af30b7d730@news.povray.org>
I'm working on a very large animation and I was wondering, it'd be pretty
cool if POV-Ray had an option for progressive rendering of the frames.

By progressive, I mean that instead of rendering frames from start to
finish, like it does right now, it would render the first frame and the
last first, then the frame between those two, then the frames between these
3 frames, and so on.

This way, we could see how a long animation is working before we render the
whole thing. :)

Now you may be wondering, "it won't work if the number of frames is not a
power of two". Well, you're wrong, because you just have to follow the
factorization order.

If the number of frames is a prime number, then a few issues would arise,
but it's not really hard to pick what frames to render either, and it'd be
trivial to avoid a frame being rendered twice too (just create a buffer of
rendered frames and jump a frame if it has been rendered already, wouldn't
any memory or processing time)

On a side note, POV-Ray should display the number of the current frame on
tooltips and in the titlebar. It currently shows only the % of the current
frame, and it's kinda bad having to open it from tray to see the overall
progress.

Anyway, that's all. :)