POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.animations : Project Tierra - flythroughs Server Time
17 May 2024 06:56:15 EDT (-0400)
  Project Tierra - flythroughs (Message 1 to 1 of 1)
From: George Pantazopoulos
Subject: Project Tierra - flythroughs
Date: 11 Sep 2006 12:25:00
Message: <web.45058bf9f3d03eac94acffc50@news.povray.org>
I've been playing with Jaime Vives Piqueres' Project Tierra, which generates
amazing mathematically-based landscapes.

See this webpage for reference:
http://www.ignorancia.org/en/index.php?page=Project_Tierra

After a lot of trial and error, afound a landscape I really like. It's
rendering as we speak on forty-two (42) 3GHz Pentium4 CPU's using my
recently released
MegaPOV XRS tools).

So far, I've only done still images of these amazing landscapes, but I'm
thinking about attempting an animation at some point.

I'm wondering what some good ways to do a flythrough would be. Trying out
different paths over and over is not so feasible right now since the
gorgeous isosurface landscapes are extremely processor intensive.

Perhaps the same Tierra POV SDL code could create a flythrough path, using
full knowledge of the isosurface terrain it generates?

Maybe it could highlight the path in a still image, and save it as an
overlay for prototyping?

Another idea: Perhaps the Tierra SDL code could generate an ultra-low
resolution version that could be used to try out different flythrough
paths?

What do you POV-Ray jockeys think?

Regards,
George