POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.animations : Render HD format Server Time
1 Jun 2024 07:24:43 EDT (-0400)
  Render HD format (Message 20 to 29 of 29)
From: Rune
Subject: Re: Render HD format
Date: 27 Aug 2006 04:46:01
Message: <44f15bc9$1@news.povray.org>
Eero Ahonen wrote:
> Warp wrote:
>>
>>   Please read the caveats of that "trick" here:
>>
>> http://tag.povray.org/povQandT/languageQandT.html#aspectratio
>>

> Good points (except 1, which is poo, because rendering the scene with
> unoriginal/unintended aspect ratio always disturbs it, except with
> case 3 ;)), thou they haven't disturbed me yet (4. seems to be one
> that will). I usually render my scenes several times with multiple
> aspect ratios to get more view, which makes the automation handy.

As a side note, if you want an automatic adjustment for image ratio that
doesn't prioritize either horizontal or vertical angle, you can use:

up y*sqrt(image_height/image_width)
right x*sqrt(image_width/image_height)

This will for example have the effect that if you switch the width and
height of the image, it will be like if you rotated a real camera 90
degrees: the area will be the same.

Remember though that the effect will be overruled if the angle keyword is
used.

Rune
--
http://runevision.com

Post a reply to this message

>>   Please read the caveats of that "trick" here:
>>
>> http://tag.povray.org/povQandT/languageQandT.html#aspectratio
>>

> Good points (except 1, which is poo, because rendering the scene with
> unoriginal/unintended aspect ratio always disturbs it, except with
> case 3 ;)), thou they haven't disturbed me yet (4. seems to be one
> that will). I usually render my scenes several times with multiple
> aspect ratios to get more view, which makes the automation handy.

Hmm these explanations have always seemed to me as giving reasons why the
default behaviour of POV is wrong.

How about having a camera block where you specify the vertical FOV, and the
default horizontal FOV is automatically calculated to give square pixels.
But you can override it if you want.

That way would fix #2 about "panoramic" shots keeping the vertical FOV while
you expand them.  It would also fix #3 because people could still render
non-square if they really wanted.

Post a reply to this message