POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.animations : Re: Camera Spline Woes Server Time
18 Jun 2024 08:27:56 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Camera Spline Woes (Message 1 to 2 of 2)
Subject: Re: Camera Spline Woes
Date: 7 May 2004 07:30:00
Message: <web.409b730a418e0c7625955f790@news.povray.org>
Well, after the ease with which Mike figured out my problem, I'm beginning
to wonder if these really aren't challenges at all... :) I guess trying to
figure out intense POV problems after doing geometry for six hours isn't a
great idea.

> Oh, I see Mike Williams has responded with what appears to be the solution.
> I can understand the confusion since look_at might be thought of as working
> like spotlight point_at where you can scale, translate, rotate the
> light_source and it'll follow the transformation.

Right...that's what I had assumed. Nothing I could see stated otherwise.
Even Rune's code, included with the distro (splinefollow.pov) didn't say
anything about it.

> I only vaguely recall the
> inner workings being discussed and apparently it was deemed that all those
> camera items remain static settings, unaffected by transformations (look_at
> means "look at first and forevermore based on location"). I'm not certain of
> the exact reasons or if this is really true. Guessing it'd be called
> "locking in" the parameters so that they work upon each other in a nice
> manner (internally). But don't ask me about it, I'm only an end-user too.
> ;-)

It doesn't make a lot of sense to me, since they don't worry about 'locking
in' that stuff with objects and all that. But...now that I know what the
problem is, maybe it would be pushing my luck to try to figure that out
too. :)

> I was going to ask if you used a clock of 1 to 10 to go with that spline,

Yes. :)

> but after having tried the script it looks workable in the way Mike said. Oh
> yeah, and angle 67.3801 is an equivalence to the default viewing area. :-)

That explains why commenting it out made no difference to the picture.
(originally most of the file was auto-generated - so there's a lot of stuff
there that I didn't create...the vaxis_rotate included. I still don't fully
understand what it does).

One other question for you crack life-savers (or is that
anti-baldspotters?): how do I perform rotations of an object throughout the
spline? Say I want an object to move along a spline along x, and have it
spinning through z at the same time. Is there a good way to do this?

Thanks for all the help, fellows. You can't imagine how much it helps,
really.

-Mike Thorn
Novice raytracer
Old enough to know better

Date: 7 May 2004 08:15:00
Message: <web.409b7c79418e0c7625955f790@news.povray.org>
Sorry about the new threads, all...I thought I had replied to the original
thread in the proper manner...did everything right...I don't know what
happened.

Sorry!! :(

-Mike