POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.animations : Tips for using mencoder (or other encoders)? Server Time
1 Jul 2024 10:21:00 EDT (-0400)
  Tips for using mencoder (or other encoders)? (Message 11 to 13 of 13)
From: Tom Galvin
Subject: Re: Tips for using mencoder (or other encoders)?
Date: 5 Dec 2003 02:21:22
Message: <Xns944817E91A873tomatimporg@204.213.191.226>
Christopher James Huff <cja### [at] earthlinknet> wrote in news:cjameshuff-
56D### [at] netplexaussieorg:

> In article <3fcfa157@news.povray.org>, Wolfgang Wieser <wwi### [at] gmxde>
> wrote:
>
>> Try encoding from multiple jpegs. If the problem persists, it is not
>> related to the mentioned colorspace convention bug. Otherwise it
>> probably is.
>
> You're a bit behind...I successfully did it with TGA files. Which means
> I'll have to convert to PNG if I want to archive an animation, and
> convert back to TGA to make another movie...but I probably won't be
> doing that kind of thing much anyway.

You could try tmpegenc under wine with the png plug-in.

--
Tom
_________________________________

Post a reply to this message

From: Thorsten Froehlich
Date: 5 Dec 2003 05:18:04
Message: <3fd05b5c$1@news.povray.org>
In article <cja### [at] netplexaussieorg> ,
Christopher James Huff <cja### [at] earthlinknet>  wrote:

> Alternatively, maybe someone can suggest another encoder...

I have suiccessfully used ffmpeg to create MPEG-2.  It also supports MPEG-1
and various other formats.  All MPEG-2 files I cretaed with it worked
without problems in QuickTime.

    Thorsten

Thorsten Froehlich, Duisburg, Germany
e-mail: tho### [at] trfde

>> Try encoding from multiple jpegs. If the problem persists, it is not
>> related to the mentioned colorspace convention bug. Otherwise it
>> probably is.
>
> You're a bit behind...I successfully did it with TGA files. Which means
> I'll have to convert to PNG if I want to archive an animation, and
> convert back to TGA to make another movie...but I probably won't be
> doing that kind of thing much anyway.

Hmm... I just tested mplayer-1.0pre3 and it worked fine with multiple
PNG files:

mencoder -mf w=640:h=480:fps=25:type=png -ovc lavc -lavcopts
vcodec=mpeg4:vhq:vbitrate=900:vqmin=2:vpass=0 -o f.avi mf://"f00*.png"

Also using "mpeg1video" instead of "mpeg4" and vpass=1/vpass=2
two pass encoding.

Everything seems to work now (no own patches applied).

Wolfgang