POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.animations : Driving Physics Playground Server Time
29 Mar 2024 11:19:33 EDT (-0400)
  Driving Physics Playground (Message 44 to 53 of 53)
From: Jaime Vives Piqueres
Subject: Re: Driving et Physics Playground
Date: 17 Aug 2014 04:40:43
Message: <53f06a8b@news.povray.org>
El 16/08/14 a las #4, Thomas de Groot escribió:
> Yes, I noticed that too. It was less in the first animation. Jaime,
> could you control the rate of angular change of the fore wheels? Make it
> more gradual?

   It's not going to be easy, but it's a must... so I will try.

--
jaime

Post a reply to this message

From: Stephen
Date: 17 Aug 2014 05:51:13
Message: <53f07b11$1@news.povray.org>
On 17/08/2014 09:37, Jaime Vives Piqueres wrote:
> El 16/08/14 a las #4, Stephen escribió:
>> The car's wheels wobble a bit as well.
>
>    Yes, I still have to investigate why this happens, as the wheels
> constraints on the simulation shouldn't allow this movement. It happens
> much less if I reduce friction, but then it looses too much traction.

Can you change the simulation rate (steps per frame) in Bullet Physics
Playground?
Does changing that make a difference or changing the collision difference?

>> I paid attention to them as I was thinking that if I gave you a series
>> of meshes with the driver turning the steering wheel from -90° ~ 0° ~
>> +90°. You could select a mesh depending on the angle of the car's front
>> wheels.
>
>    Yes, that is totally feasible, as I can export such data from the
> simulation.

What resolution would you want?
How many degrees of revolution and the spacing between them?

>> I am taking a couple of months off work so I have the time and I've not
>> used Poser in a while. So I need to keep up my skills.
>> No pressure.
>
>    Unfortunately, I've had only a week of vacations this month, but
> should be able to work on it on the weekends.

Once I have made the meshes my part will be done. Then you can work on
it at your leisure.

>> He is glued to the seat in fact  he intersects with the seat.
>
>    Yes, I had to place it manually, when it should have fit perfectly
> given that you placed it over the actual seat used on the animation... I
> will look at it again to understand why this happens.

I should have mentioned that you would need to do that.
The way I normally import meshes into Poser. I loose the positional
information. I should have kept that and translated the figure to the
seat. It should be better next time.

The model was just a proof of concept. I would take more care.
To add to the resolution question.
Would you want the driver to lean and look into a turn?
Actually you could have a series of meshes to play with @ the same cost
as PovRay.
(Dr John, note the usage of the at sign. Points?)
Last thing.
The steering wheel would need to be attached to the driver's hands.

>> Not a public road so no problem.
>
>    Ah... yes, no problem then.
>
>> But a model with one one hand on the gear stick would not be a problem.
>
>    Don't worry... the acceleration is constant and fixed, and I'm not
> going to implement a gear box on the simulation. :)

Yes. One step at a time. :-)

--

Regards
     Stephen

Post a reply to this message

> Can you change the simulation rate (steps per frame) in Bullet Physics
> Playground?
> Does changing that make a difference or changing the collision difference?

   Yes, I can, and maybe it's the way to give more stability to the
suspension constrains... should try a.s.a.p.

>>    Yes, that is totally feasible, as I can export such data from the
>> simulation.
>>

> What resolution would you want?
> How many degrees of revolution and the spacing between them?

   Well, given that I'm steering with the keyboard, the car steering is
all-or-nothing, with "all" being 45º. So, maybe 3 steps of 15º will be
enough, but I still have to see how I do that...

> I should have mentioned that you would need to do that.
> The way I normally import meshes into Poser. I loose the positional
> information. I should have kept that and translated the figure to the
> seat. It should be better next time.

   Ah... I assumed it was in place respect to the original "inner" mesh.
Will place it myself with Wings3d and export it back.

> To add to the resolution question.
> Would you want the driver to lean and look into a turn?

   Well, that would be awesome, no doubt... :)

> Last thing.
> The steering wheel would need to be attached to the driver's hands.

   Yes, maybe it's the best solution.

   Regards,

--
jaime

Post a reply to this message

On 17/08/2014 22:44, Jaime Vives Piqueres wrote:
> El 17/08/14 a las #4, Stephen escribió:
>> Can you change the simulation rate (steps per frame) in Bullet Physics
>> Playground?
>> Does changing that make a difference or changing the collision
>> difference?
>
>    Yes, I can, and maybe it's the way to give more stability to the
> suspension constrains... should try a.s.a.p.

Sometimes less is more. :-)

>>>    Yes, that is totally feasible, as I can export such data from the
>>> simulation.
>>>

>> What resolution would you want?
>> How many degrees of revolution and the spacing between them?
>
>    Well, given that I'm steering with the keyboard, the car steering is
> all-or-nothing, with "all" being 45º. So, maybe 3 steps of 15º will be
> enough, but I still have to see how I do that...

Sorry? You are steering in real time?

I downloaded Bullet Physics a while ago but it is on Thomas's to do
list, :-)

I am impressed.

>> I should have mentioned that you would need to do that.
>> The way I normally import meshes into Poser. I loose the positional
>> information. I should have kept that and translated the figure to the
>> seat. It should be better next time.
>
>    Ah... I assumed it was in place respect to the original "inner" mesh.
> Will place it myself with Wings3d and export it back.

I hope that there will be no need. I started another session leaving the
seat in place and I hope that will fix that problem.

>> To add to the resolution question.
>> Would you want the driver to lean and look into a turn?
>
>    Well, that would be awesome, no doubt... :)

Okay on my todo list after we get the wheel turning sorted.

>> Last thing.
>> The steering wheel would need to be attached to the driver's hands.
>
>    Yes, maybe it's the best solution.

I separated the steering wheel from the rest of the car's interior, in
Blender, and uploaded it to p.b.misc

Just to check you can merge the wheel into your model and to see where
the cut is.
Do you prefer 3DS format?
I will try to get a rotation of the wheel in the Y axis (local), to turn
the hands.

It might be less messy on this thread if we communicate directly. My
address should be visible.

--

Regards
     Stephen

Post a reply to this message

> I downloaded Bullet Physics a while ago but it is on Thomas's to do
> list, :-)

No problem. I can send you a copy of my list if you want, with a couple
of RT's ;-)

Thomas

Post a reply to this message

On 18/08/2014 08:17, Thomas de Groot wrote:
> On 18-8-2014 0:53, Stephen wrote:
>> I downloaded Bullet Physics a while ago but it is on Thomas's to do
>> list, :-)
>
> No problem. I can send you a copy of my list if you want, with a couple
> of RT's ;-)
>
> Thomas

Thanks Thomas.I'll put it on my list when I get round to it.

--

Regards
     Stephen

Post a reply to this message