POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.animations : Alphabet blocks Server Time
28 Mar 2024 04:42:10 EDT (-0400)
  Alphabet blocks (Message 1 to 10 of 17)
From: Jaime Vives Piqueres
Subject: Alphabet blocks
Date: 25 Sep 2012 02:51:00
Message: <50615454$1@news.povray.org>
Hi All:

   Here is a little animation I created while testing the Bullet Physics
Playground by Koppi. This tool generated 333 .pov scenes, which I
processed with Regexxer to replace the simple boxes by my own
block-letter objects. Apart from this, and setting up a simple room
environment, all I did was adding some trigonometry to the camera
transformations to get a "not-too-mechanical" movement.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cFWYgB7S7tQ

   Criticism is welcome, specially as this is my third animation ever...

--
Jaime

Post a reply to this message

Jaime Vives Piqueres <jai### [at] ignoranciaorg> wrote:
>    Here is a little animation I created while testing the Bullet Physics
> Playground by Koppi. This tool generated 333 .pov scenes, which I
> processed with Regexxer to replace the simple boxes by my own
> block-letter objects. Apart from this, and setting up a simple room
> environment, all I did was adding some trigonometry to the camera
> transformations to get a "not-too-mechanical" movement.

> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cFWYgB7S7tQ

>    Criticism is welcome, specially as this is my third animation ever...

Quite cool, although it does show the still-existing limitations of
physics simulation engines. While the blocks are moving faster and there's
a lot of things going on, it looks realistic; however, when they are almost
still, they do not act naturally because they keep moving slowly, like they
were alive. In real life such blocks would settle rapidly and keep
completely still afterwards.

--
                                                          - Warp

Post a reply to this message

> Quite cool, although it does show the still-existing limitations of
> physics simulation engines. While the blocks are moving faster and
> there's a lot of things going on, it looks realistic; however, when
> they are almost still, they do not act naturally because they keep
> moving slowly, like they were alive. In real life such blocks would
> settle rapidly and keep completely still afterwards.

  Yes, that's seems at first glance, but I know still very little, and
I'm sure that it can be minimized by using correct values for mass,
friction, etc... I just used the defaults from Koppi's playground. So,
that's next thing to investigate...

--
Jaime

Post a reply to this message