POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.animations : Adolescent’s_delight Server Time
29 Mar 2024 03:22:24 EDT (-0400)
  Adolescent’s_delight (Message 1 to 9 of 9)
From: Stephen
Subject: Adolescent’s_delight
Date: 8 Jun 2012 07:38:57
Message: <4fd1e451$1@news.povray.org>
I mentioned in p.o.t (Re: Need to put a picture here) that I was making
an animation to reproduce something I read in a book many years ago. A
woman was wearing a dress to a party. The material became transparent in
random patches.

The latest WIP is here. (Partial nudity, if your eyes are quick enough)

http://youtu.be/_PpJHBg44rA

I am not happy with the pattern of transparency and after lots of
experimentation this is the best I can come up with. I would appreciate
it if anyone could point to a better method.

even incrementing it by 1/5000000000 per frame makes the output too
jerky. I feel that I am taking the wrong approach.
The code follows.

#declare Dress_Map_Pos1 = 0.3  ;
#declare Dress_Map_Pos2 = 0.7  ;

#declare Turb_x = 2.5 ;
#declare Turb_y = 1 ;
#declare Turb_z = 2.5 ;

#declare Turb = < Turb_x,Turb_y,Turb_z>      ;

#declare Lambda_Var = 3 ;        ;

#declare Phase_Var =  0.000   + (frame_number/(5000000000)) ;

#declare JessiDress_1_=
material{
   texture {
     pigment {
       gradient < 0.000, 1.000, 0.000 >
       pigment_map {
   [Dress_Map_Pos1,
     uv_mapping
     image_map{
       jpeg "JessiSet2.jpg"
       interpolate 2
       map_type 0
       filter all 0.000
       transmit all 0.000
     }
   ]
   [Dress_Map_Pos1 +.01,
     colour rgbft <1.000,0.000,0.000,0.000,1.000>
   ]
   [Dress_Map_Pos2 -0.01,
     colour rgbft <1.000,0.000,0.000,0.000,1.000>
   ]
   [Dress_Map_Pos2,
     uv_mapping
     image_map{
       jpeg "JessiSet2.jpg"
       interpolate 2
       map_type 0
       filter all 0.000
       transmit all 0.000
     }
   ]
       }

       frequency 3.000
       phase Phase_Var
       scallop_wave
       noise_generator 3

       warp {
         turbulence <Turb_x,Turb_y,Turb_z>
         octaves 4
         lambda Lambda_Var
         omega 0.3
       }
       warp {
         turbulence <Turb_x,0,Turb_z>
         octaves 4
         lambda Lambda_Var
         omega 0.3
       }
     }
   }
}

--
Regards
     Stephen

Post a reply to this message

> I am not happy with the pattern of transparency and after lots of
> experimentation this is the best I can come up with. I would appreciate
> it if anyone could point to a better method.

> even incrementing it by 1/5000000000 per frame makes the output too
> jerky. I feel that I am taking the wrong approach.

I changed the blend map pattern to marble, which gives a slightly better
pattern to the transparency, I think.
The biggest difference to the animation was adding uv_mapping to the

material{
   texture {
   uv_mapping
     pigment {

Comments?

  http://youtu.be/jvZfbKGbUDs

--
Regards
     Stephen

Post a reply to this message

>> I am not happy with the pattern of transparency and after lots of
>> experimentation this is the best I can come up with. I would appreciate
>> it if anyone could point to a better method.

>> even incrementing it by 1/5000000000 per frame makes the output too
>> jerky. I feel that I am taking the wrong approach.
>
> I changed the blend map pattern to marble, which gives a slightly better
> pattern to the transparency, I think.
> The biggest difference to the animation was adding uv_mapping to the

> material{
> texture {
> uv_mapping
> pigment {
>
> Comments?
>
> http://youtu.be/jvZfbKGbUDs

Looks beter, but somewhat lacking in realism.

Normaly, those transparency are at least somewhat dependent on the
vewing angle. The light's incidence angle also have an effect.

You should probably explore something using the aoi (angle of incidence)
pattern.
For that, you'll need to use version 3.7.

Alain

Post a reply to this message

> Normaly, those transparency are at least somewhat dependent on the
> vewing angle. The light's incidence angle also have an effect.

Other things that could have an effect

- curvature of fabric
- stretching / acceleration of fabrik
- distance from skin
- ...

all not so easy to get as pattern, but if the pattern were not
random but related to the movement the effect would probably
look more natural.

Post a reply to this message

> Looks beter, but somewhat lacking in realism.

Thanks, but I don't know about realism. It is suposed to be a SF fantasy
material.

> Normaly, those transparency are at least somewhat dependent on the
> vewing angle. The light's incidence angle also have an effect.
>
> You should probably explore something using the aoi (angle of incidence)
> pattern.

Definitely something to think about.

> For that, you'll need to use version 3.7.

And that can be arranged. :-)

--
Regards
     Stephen