POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.animations : Error: Final Frame 0 is less than Start Frame 1049 Server Time: 16 Jun 2019 07:59:57 GMT
  Error: Final Frame 0 is less than Start Frame 1049 (Message 1 to 7 of 7)  
From: Roland Mösl
Subject: Error: Final Frame 0 is less than Start Frame 1049
Date: 15 Nov 2011 23:15:43
Message: <4ec2f29f$1@news.povray.org>
Just wanted to render 1050 pictures for a scene.

One notebook from 0 to 1049
The other from 1049 to 0

Hope in 12 hours, they have finished somewhere in the middle

But seems POV does not like this idea.

--
Roland Mösl


Post a reply to this message

From: D103
Subject: Re: Error: Final Frame 0 is less than Start Frame 1049
Date: 16 Nov 2011 09:10:01
Message: <web.4ec37ca9153ef325ae2687f0@news.povray.org>
=?ISO-8859-1?Q?Roland_M=F6sl?= <fou### [at] pegeorg> wrote:
> Just wanted to render 1050 pictures for a scene.
>
> One notebook from 0 to 1049
> The other from 1049 to 0
>
> Hope in 12 hours, they have finished somewhere in the middle
>
> But seems POV does not like this idea.
>
> --
> Roland Mösl

If I understand you correctly, you want to distribute the rendering between your
computers?

In which case you could use Subset_Start_Frame = 0 Subset_End_Frame = 524 for
your first computer, and Subset_Start_Frame = 525 Subset_End_Frame = 1049 for
your second computer in your ini file.

Have a read of this, too:
http://wiki.povray.org/content/Documentation:Reference_Section_1#Animation_Options

Provided there isn't too much variation in the content of your scene, both
computers (assuming they are pretty much the same spec) should finish at about
the same time. If not, you can of course adjust the subset start/end.

Also, make sure the assumed_gamma is the same for both computers, otherwise the
output files will appear different, if I understand gamma correctly.

Regards, D103


Post a reply to this message

From: Roland Mösl
Subject: Re: Error: Final Frame 0 is less than Start Frame 1049
Date: 16 Nov 2011 09:31:56
Message: <4ec3830c$1@news.povray.org>
On 2011-11-16 10:05, D103 wrote:
> =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Roland_M=F6sl?=<fou### [at] pegeorg>  wrote:
>> Just wanted to render 1050 pictures for a scene.
>>
>> One notebook from 0 to 1049
>> The other from 1049 to 0
>>
>> Hope in 12 hours, they have finished somewhere in the middle
>>
>> But seems POV does not like this idea.
>>
>> --
>> Roland Mösl
>
> If I understand you correctly, you want to distribute the rendering between your
> computers?
>
> In which case you could use Subset_Start_Frame = 0 Subset_End_Frame = 524 for
> your first computer, and Subset_Start_Frame = 525 Subset_End_Frame = 1049 for
> your second computer in your ini file.

I used in the past weeks up to 5 computers to render
different scenes.

In this case, it's not so easy, because the first
300 pictures contain time consuming reflexion and transparency effects

One notebook is a 1,3 GHZ ULV, the other a 2,3 GHZ

So it was difficult to quess, where would be the half.
So I had the idea, that they could met somewhere in the middle,
whereever the middle is

--
Roland Mösl


Post a reply to this message

From: Le Forgeron
Subject: Re: Error: Final Frame 0 is less than Start Frame 1049
Date: 16 Nov 2011 15:30:21
Message: <4ec3d70d$1@news.povray.org>
Le 16/11/2011 10:31, Roland Mösl a écrit :
> On 2011-11-16 10:05, D103 wrote:
>> =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Roland_M=F6sl?=<fou### [at] pegeorg>  wrote:
>>> Just wanted to render 1050 pictures for a scene.
>>>
>>> One notebook from 0 to 1049
>>> The other from 1049 to 0
>>>
>>> Hope in 12 hours, they have finished somewhere in the middle
>>>
>>> But seems POV does not like this idea.

Povray is not megapov.


> I used in the past weeks up to 5 computers to render
> different scenes.
> 
> In this case, it's not so easy, because the first
> 300 pictures contain time consuming reflexion and transparency effects
> 
> One notebook is a 1,3 GHZ ULV, the other a 2,3 GHZ
> 
> So it was difficult to quess, where would be the half.
> So I had the idea, that they could met somewhere in the middle,
> whereever the middle is
>

Instead of meeting in the middle, you could use +STPn
(Same as Frame_Step=n) to split the load.


On first machine, +KFI0 +KFF1049 +SF0 +STP5
On second machine +KFI0 +KFF1049 +SF1 +STP5
On third ...      +KFI0 +KFF1049 +SF3 +STP5
...
On fifth ...      +KFI0 +KFF1049 +SF5 +STP5


For your two systems' case, it obviously translate to
On first machine, +KFI0 +KFF1049 +SF0 +STP2
On second machine +KFI0 +KFF1049 +SF1 +STP2

> http://wiki.povray.org/content/Documentation:Reference_Section_1#Animation_Options

(+STP apply to 3.7RC3 (or later) version of povray, not the 3.6)


-- 
Software is like dirt - it costs time and money to change it and move it
around.

Just because you can't see it, it doesn't weigh anything,
and you can't drill a hole in it and stick a rivet into it doesn't mean
it's free.


Post a reply to this message

From: Roland Mösl
Subject: Re: Error: Final Frame 0 is less than Start Frame 1049
Date: 16 Nov 2011 17:08:16
Message: <4ec3ee00$1@news.povray.org>
On 2011-11-16 16:30, Le_Forgeron wrote:
> Le 16/11/2011 10:31, Roland Mösl a écrit :
>> On 2011-11-16 10:05, D103 wrote:
>>> =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Roland_M=F6sl?=<fou### [at] pegeorg>   wrote:
>>>> Just wanted to render 1050 pictures for a scene.
>>>>
>>>> One notebook from 0 to 1049
>>>> The other from 1049 to 0
>>>>
>>>> Hope in 12 hours, they have finished somewhere in the middle
>>>>
>>>> But seems POV does not like this idea.
>
> Povray is not megapov.
>
>
>> I used in the past weeks up to 5 computers to render
>> different scenes.
>>
>> In this case, it's not so easy, because the first
>> 300 pictures contain time consuming reflexion and transparency effects
>>
>> One notebook is a 1,3 GHZ ULV, the other a 2,3 GHZ
>>
>> So it was difficult to quess, where would be the half.
>> So I had the idea, that they could met somewhere in the middle,
>> whereever the middle is
>>
>
> Instead of meeting in the middle, you could use +STPn
> (Same as Frame_Step=n) to split the load.
>
>
> On first machine, +KFI0 +KFF1049 +SF0 +STP5
> On second machine +KFI0 +KFF1049 +SF1 +STP5
> On third ...      +KFI0 +KFF1049 +SF3 +STP5
> ...
> On fifth ...      +KFI0 +KFF1049 +SF5 +STP5
>
>
> For your two systems' case, it obviously translate to
> On first machine, +KFI0 +KFF1049 +SF0 +STP2
> On second machine +KFI0 +KFF1049 +SF1 +STP2
>
>> http://wiki.povray.org/content/Documentation:Reference_Section_1#Animation_Options
>
> (+STP apply to 3.7RC3 (or later) version of povray, not the 3.6)

Can I assign more or less CPU-cernels for a task?

I did not change to 3.7, because it's somethimes better,
that only one cernel calculates with POV,
and the rest of the notebook is free for other tasks.

--
Roland Mösl


Post a reply to this message

From: Le Forgeron
Subject: Re: Error: Final Frame 0 is less than Start Frame 1049
Date: 16 Nov 2011 18:15:23
Message: <4ec3fdbb$1@news.povray.org>
Le 16/11/2011 18:08, Roland Mösl nous fit lire :
> Can I assign more or less CPU-cernels for a task?
> 
> I did not change to 3.7, because it's somethimes better,
> that only one cernel calculates with POV,
> and the rest of the notebook is free for other tasks.
> 

Yes, +WTn : n number of rendering threads.


Post a reply to this message

From: clipka
Subject: Re: Error: Final Frame 0 is less than Start Frame 1049
Date: 16 Nov 2011 19:21:04
Message: <4ec40d20@news.povray.org>
Am 16.11.2011 00:15, schrieb Roland Mösl:
> Just wanted to render 1050 pictures for a scene.
>
> One notebook from 0 to 1049
> The other from 1049 to 0
>
> Hope in 12 hours, they have finished somewhere in the middle
>
> But seems POV does not like this idea.

Indeed it doesn't.

You might want to submit this as a feature request on 
http://bugs.povray.org.


Post a reply to this message

Copyright 2003-2008 Persistence of Vision Raytracer Pty. Ltd.