POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.animations : Earth by clearmap.tga Server Time
28 Mar 2024 21:40:27 EDT (-0400)
  Earth by clearmap.tga (Message 1 to 10 of 12)
From: Roland Mösl
Subject: Earth by clearmap.tga
Date: 3 Nov 2011 16:58:16
Message: <4eb30068$1@news.povray.org>
Just show the explanation of the PEGE symbol.

For this animation, I rendered Earth
by clearmap.tga as described in POV 1994.

This was fine at the resolution of this days,
but now, I would like a file like
clearmap.tga with a much higher resoltuion.

What source?

Post a reply to this message

Le 03/11/2011 21:58, Roland Mösl nous fit lire :
> Just show the explanation of the PEGE symbol.
>
> For this animation, I rendered Earth
> by clearmap.tga as described in POV 1994.
>
> This was fine at the resolution of this days,
> but now, I would like a file like
> clearmap.tga with a much higher resoltuion.
>
> What source?
>
> Roland Mösl

For daylight with snow,
http://www.nnvl.noaa.gov/ddsimages/SnowIceCover_Daily.png

For nightlight, "earthlights dmsp" in wikipedia
(16,384 × 8,192 pixels at full resolution)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Earthlights_dmsp.jpg

For daylight,
http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Land_shallow_topo_2048.jpg
(2048x1024 at full resolution)

Post a reply to this message

> Le 03/11/2011 21:58, Roland Mösl nous fit lire :
>> Just show the explanation of the PEGE symbol.
>>
>> For this animation, I rendered Earth
>> by clearmap.tga as described in POV 1994.
>>
>> This was fine at the resolution of this days,
>> but now, I would like a file like
>> clearmap.tga with a much higher resoltuion.
>>
>> What source?
>>
>> Roland Mösl
>
> For daylight with snow,
> http://www.nnvl.noaa.gov/ddsimages/SnowIceCover_Daily.png

This picture would be optimal for spring or autumn

With all the snow, I would have to change the direction
of the earth axis to the winter postion.

> For nightlight, "earthlights dmsp" in wikipedia
> (16,384 × 8,192 pixels at full resolution)
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Earthlights_dmsp.jpg
>
> For daylight,
> http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Land_shallow_topo_2048.jpg
> (2048x1024 at full resolution)

This in PNG and the resolution of the snow picture!

Roland Mösl

Post a reply to this message

Le 04/11/2011 07:04, Roland Mösl nous fit lire :
> On 2011-11-03 23:04, Le_Forgeron wrote:
>> For daylight with snow,
>> http://www.nnvl.noaa.gov/ddsimages/SnowIceCover_Daily.png
>
> This picture would be optimal for spring or autumn

You need to learn patience... and sample it everyday of the coming year!
(or over five years ?)

> With all the snow, I would have to change the direction
> of the earth axis to the winter postion.
>
>> For nightlight, "earthlights dmsp" in wikipedia
>> (16,384 × 8,192 pixels at full resolution)
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Earthlights_dmsp.jpg
>>
>> For daylight,
>> http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Land_shallow_topo_2048.jpg
>> (2048x1024 at full resolution)
>
> This in PNG and the resolution of the snow picture!

Ratio 2:1 is usual for spherical projection.
Firefox report it as jpeg, and save it as such.

At least there is no clouds on it.

Post a reply to this message

> This in PNG and the resolution of the snow picture!

It appears to be available as 21600 x 10800 TIFF (173.5MB)

http://visibleearth.nasa.gov/view_rec.php?id=2433

Post a reply to this message