POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.animations : Animation Crash? Server Time
5 Jul 2024 13:31:43 EDT (-0400)
  Animation Crash? (Message 1 to 3 of 3)
From: How Camp
Subject: Animation Crash?
Date: 30 Oct 2002 10:01:34
Message: <3dbff44e$1@news.povray.org>
I seem to be getting strange results here.  I have a 300-frame animation
segment I'm rendering.  Everything seems to go well until the render has
been running for a few hours (~5).  Then, I see new error messages
appearing, such as:

--

Rendering frame 62 of 300

Scene contains 8978 frame level objects; 1 infinite.

 05:13:21 so far, Possible Rendering Error: Cannot write PNG data.
Possible Rendering Error: Cannot write PNG data.
Possible Rendering Error: Cannot write PNG data.
Possible Rendering Error: Cannot write PNG data.
Possible Rendering Error: Cannot write PNG data.
Possible Rendering Error: Cannot write PNG data.
Possible Rendering Error: Cannot write PNG data.
Possible Rendering Error: Cannot write PNG data.
Possible Rendering Error: Cannot write PNG data.

--

However, frame 62 finishes normally (it looks fine), and then POV-Ray stops
rendering frame 63.

Strangely, if I restart the process at frame 63 (or even 62), things
continue along normally.  No rendering error of any sort.  Am I somehow
building up 'residue' from previous renders?  Is there some way to 'flush'
this each time to start fresh?

Any light shed on this mystery would be greatly appreciated.

- How

Post a reply to this message

> I seem to be getting strange results here.  I have a 300-frame animation
> segment I'm rendering.  Everything seems to go well until the render has
> been running for a few hours (~5).  Then, I see new error messages
> appearing, such as:
>
> [...]

The 'Possible Rendering Error: Cannot write PNG data.' message usually
occurs if POV-Ray isn't able to write the image data to the disk.  So you
might check if:

- disk is full
- you lost connection when working on a network drive

Christoph

Last updated 28 Oct. 2002 _____./\/^>_*_<^\/\.______

Post a reply to this message

> The 'Possible Rendering Error: Cannot write PNG data.' message usually
> occurs if POV-Ray isn't able to write the image data to the disk.  So you
> might check if:

> - you lost connection when working on a network drive

Aha, that may very well have been the case.  Looking more closely, as the
next frame was attempted, POV told me it couldn't find my _input_ file.

Thanks, Christoph!

- How