POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.animations : which format? Server Time
5 Jul 2024 13:38:29 EDT (-0400)
  which format? (Message 1 to 5 of 5)
From: James Taylor
Subject: which format?
Date: 30 Sep 2002 18:22:40
Message: <3d98ceb0$4@news.povray.org>
hi all,

Whats the best format for putting a small anim (say 25k) to play on a web
page? i thought maybe a animated giff but is there a better format?

thanks
jim

Post a reply to this message

From: Slime
Subject: Re: which format?
Date: 30 Sep 2002 18:37:13
Message: <3d98d219$1@news.povray.org>
> Whats the best format for putting a small anim (say 25k) to play on a web
> page? i thought maybe a animated giff but is there a better format?

25KB is the file size of a medium image. If the animation only has a few
frames, then an animated gif might be best for an animation so small. But an
animation with 10 or more frames will likely exceed this filesize. If it has
over 50-100 frames or so, I'd say use MPEG.

 - Slime
[ http://www.slimeland.com/ ]

Post a reply to this message

"Slime" <slm### [at] slimelandcom> wrote in message
> > Whats the best format for putting a small anim (say 25k) to play on a
web
> > page? i thought maybe a animated giff but is there a better format?
>
> 25KB is the file size of a medium image. If the animation only has a few
> frames, then an animated gif might be best for an animation so small. But
an
> animation with 10 or more frames will likely exceed this filesize. If it
has
> over 50-100 frames or so, I'd say use MPEG.

well i have 30 frames so it look like i'm borderline - but can i get a mpeg
to play from a website without any input from the user?

thanks
jim

Post a reply to this message

"James Taylor" <jim### [at] blueyondercouk> wrote in message

> well i have 30 frames so it look like i'm borderline - but can i get a
mpeg
> to play from a website without any input from the user?

Yes. The way I've always done it is:

<embed src="path/animation.mpg" autostart="true" loop="true"></embed>

Loop can be false or 1, 2, 3, etc.
--
Farewell,
Bob