POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.animations : inserting an interval in a mpeg file Server Time
8 Jul 2024 15:58:55 EDT (-0400)
  inserting an interval in a mpeg file (Message 1 to 2 of 2)
From: Herman Serras
Subject: inserting an interval in a mpeg file
Date: 15 Aug 2002 15:06:02
Message: <3D5BFBF5.2403BC0A@pandora.be>
Using a program (ex. movgear) to construct animated giffiles starting
with a series of giffiles it's possible to change the time interval
between any 2 succesive gif images. In this way it's possible to insert
a larger time interval between to successive frames in the animation.
Using TMPPGenc to construct a mpeg file the framerate has to been
choosen. So I can't obtain the same effect as in an animated giffile:
ex. an interval in the middle of the animation, or a non constant
interval between the successive images.
Is there a possibility to do this?
--
Herman Serras
Gent (Belgium)

Post a reply to this message

Herman Serras <Her### [at] pandorabe> wrote in

> Using a program (ex. movgear) to construct animated giffiles starting
> with a series of giffiles it's possible to change the time interval
> between any 2 succesive gif images. In this way it's possible to insert
> a larger time interval between to successive frames in the animation.
> Using TMPPGenc to construct a mpeg file the framerate has to been
> choosen. So I can't obtain the same effect as in an animated giffile:
> ex. an interval in the middle of the animation, or a non constant
> interval between the successive images.
> Is there a possibility to do this?

I have no experience in MPEG generation and very little knowledge of this
format, but the first idea coming to mind is to insert as many identical
images as needed to make the animation to "pause". Theoritically, it
should not cost much, since MPEG stores the difference between consecutive
images. Although it inserts whole images in the stream, from time to time,
to be sure to conserve quality.

I hope it works. :-)

--
Philippe Lhoste (Paris -- France)