POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.animations : testers wanted: distributed rendering: prs alpha release Server Time
28 Jul 2024 10:25:02 EDT (-0400)
  testers wanted: distributed rendering: prs alpha release (Message 1 to 2 of 2)
From: gimi
Subject: testers wanted: distributed rendering: prs alpha release
Date: 6 Aug 2001 22:03:15
Message: <3B6E8EB0.C277D95A@psico.ch>
hi all

  povray remote render server (prs)
  first public alpha release is ready!

..written in perl, so don't expect any gui soon. :)

after four weeks of testing, funny behaviour
and bugfixing.. -- it's stable and functional,
so i'd like to get some feedback from the real world.

features:
o multiple clients handle parts of the same animation
  (frames are distributed to any number of clients,
  it will also render single images from pov files of
  course);
o simple configuration of individual clients and the
  server;
o submit render jobs from clients, the results (images)
  are automatically collected by the server
  -- all via tcp/ip.
  (single frame splitting is not supported yet,
  i'll have to see if there is some need for that)

requirements:
o some sensible os (dos, win, unix)
  (macos is and will not be supported
   - at least not by me ;)
o perl (tested on 5.6.0)
o povray for dos or unix
  (win32 executables do NOT work)

works/tested with:
o povray.exe (official 3.1g, dos)
o mpov7.exe  (unofficial megapov 0.7, dos)
(o probably works on linux; not yet tested -
   but it *should* work..)

distribution:
o prs.zip with
    perl sources
    configuration ini file
    readme.txt (well -- um, like, the manual ;)

we can discuss questions here, i guess
(i couldn't find a more appropriate group);
or if you just want to receive it, reply
to this message by mail.

kind regards,

gimi

--