POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.animations : slow render using INI file Server Time
28 Jul 2024 08:29:59 EDT (-0400)
  slow render using INI file (Message 1 to 3 of 3)
From: jason lechak
Subject: slow render using INI file
Date: 10 Nov 2000 00:30:08
Message: <3A0B8A3A.D32AF92B@netzero.net>
hello all. I am curious if anyone has experienced an unusually slow
render time when using INI file settings. I am using the explode include
file, and when I automate the animation process by setting the start and
stop frames, and the start clock values in the INI file, it seems to
take about 6 minutes to render an image. however, when I perform the
animation manually, by adjusting the explode_clock value, the same
images take about 15 seconds. Any ideas?

Thanks!

jason

Post a reply to this message

jason lechak <fro### [at] netzeronet> wrote:
> hello all. I am curious if anyone has experienced an unusually slow
> render time when using INI file settings. I am using the explode include
> file, and when I automate the animation process by setting the start and
> stop frames, and the start clock values in the INI file, it seems to
> take about 6 minutes to render an image. however, when I perform the
> animation manually, by adjusting the explode_clock value, the same
> images take about 15 seconds. Any ideas?

This is a problem with the bounding threshold setting POV-Ray uses to
optimise renderings.  If you specify Bounding_Threshold=0 in your INI file,
you should find that performance greatly improves...

Post a reply to this message

> hello all. I am curious if anyone has experienced an unusually slow
> render time when using INI file settings. I am using the explode include
> file, and when I automate the animation process by setting the start and
> stop frames, and the start clock values in the INI file, it seems to
> take about 6 minutes to render an image. however, when I perform the
> animation manually, by adjusting the explode_clock value, the same
> images take about 15 seconds. Any ideas?

	I have not noticed having that problem so I have not tried to solve it.

	But I have used,

		#if (condition) then use external parameter file

	which can vary like a clock when incremented as well as change other
parameters.

	Since POV can't treat differently hand changed parameters from those
read from a file you might try it.

--
Revisionists are sneaky bastards. They always deal
in facts and figures.