POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.animations : New pov game: povgolf Server Time
28 Jul 2024 14:30:51 EDT (-0400)
  New pov game: povgolf (Message 1 to 2 of 2)
From: Greg M  Johnson
Subject: New pov game: povgolf
Date: 24 May 2000 11:24:55
Message: <392BF332.47BF893F@my-dejanews.com>
I just had a great inspiration for a fun game to play with pov:
povgolf.  I always thought it would be cool if we could make up a "game"
or competition by which people could compete to find  the most
intelligent macro or INC to solve a problem. The answer is golf.

I had made a pretty realistic animation algorithm for particles bouncing
off of an isosurface.  I could make this isosurface instead a golf
course, with a hole in it.

1. Players would be given the starting point and position for the bottom
of the hole.
2. Players would start at a point on the course and their INC would
specific a vector (speed, direction).
3. Then they would get some sort of feedback (probably the vector from
the 'bottom' of the hole to the closest point on their trajectory).
4. The player's algorithm would then decide how to alter the next shot
to get closer.
5. The person whose algorithm takes the fewest attempts to get 'a hole
in one' is the winner.

The team of players could even first vote on the course selection with
wind and gravity.

I suppose it would get boring if one simply back-calculated the v-zero
for a "swish" or non-bouncing trajectory. Perhaps this could be
combatted with a wind that gets stronger and  more unpredictable the
higher the altitude.   I haven't decided about allowing trace calls in
the INC.

I can easy code the course, and bounce algorithm for the "base" to the
game: anyone interested in a competition of macros??

Post a reply to this message