POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.animations : MPEG back to BITMAPS! Server Time
28 Jul 2024 18:17:37 EDT (-0400)
  MPEG back to BITMAPS! (Message 1 to 10 of 11)
From: Christopher Fairbairn
Subject: MPEG back to BITMAPS!
Date: 22 Jan 1999 23:05:26
Message: <36a94a86.0@news.povray.org>
Hi,

I have an animation which is in MPEG format. I would like to include this
MPEG in my POVRay Animation as a laptop screen.

Currently my laptop screen is a image map which is feed "lap%%%%%.GIF" with
the %%%%% being the frame number.

This is ok but at the moment all of the laptop image maps are the same (a
nice blue rectangle) because I can not figure out how to disect my MPEG
movie back into individual bitmaps.

I didn't make this MPEG file so I can't simply rerender it and digitally
composite it with the live video action. The MPEG was from a local Animation
House which made a TV Ad.

Does anyone know of a MPEG decoder which would enable me to convert the
movie back into individual image files for each frame?

Any help would be great,

Thanks,
Christopher Fairbairn.

Post a reply to this message

> I have an animation which is in MPEG format. I would like to include this
> MPEG in my POVRay Animation as a laptop screen.
>
> Currently my laptop screen is a image map which is feed "lap%%%%%.GIF" with
> the %%%%% being the frame number.
>
> This is ok but at the moment all of the laptop image maps are the same (a
> nice blue rectangle) because I can not figure out how to disect my MPEG
> movie back into individual bitmaps.
>
> I didn't make this MPEG file so I can't simply rerender it and digitally
> composite it with the live video action. The MPEG was from a local Animation
> House which made a TV Ad.
>
> Does anyone know of a MPEG decoder which would enable me to convert the
> movie back into individual image files for each frame?
>
> Any help would be great,
>
> Thanks,
> Christopher Fairbairn.

I don't have a specific file name in mind but have seen software
to do this. You might try a search at http://filepile.com

Another approach would be to run the mpeg in question in single frame
playback mode and use a program like Paint Shop Pro to do screen
captures of the frames you are interested in. This will allow you to
save in most any image file format you wish.

--
Ken Tyler

tyl### [at] pacbellnet

Post a reply to this message

>I don't have a specific file name in mind but have seen software
>to do this. You might try a search at http://filepile.com
>
>Another approach would be to run the mpeg in question in single frame
>playback mode and use a program like Paint Shop Pro to do screen
>captures of the frames you are interested in. This will allow you to
>save in most any image file format you wish.

A bit of a pain though considering there are about 2000 frames :-) Also I
did try the method with Paint Shop Pro 4 but couldn't get it to work with
the default Win98 mpeg player that Microsoft wrote. It kept getting a black
rectangle instead of the actual frame in the screen capture.

Thanks,
Christopher Fairbairn.

Post a reply to this message

Sounds like a fun project.  Could you share the code for doing this, if one had
in fact a bunch of separate IMAGE%%%.GIF's.?

Thanks a bunch.

Christopher Fairbairn wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Ken wrote in message <36A95BAE.C8F3B7D8@pacbell.net>...
> >I don't have a specific file name in mind but have seen software
> >to do this. You might try a search at http://filepile.com
> >
> >Another approach would be to run the mpeg in question in single frame
> >playback mode and use a program like Paint Shop Pro to do screen
> >captures of the frames you are interested in. This will allow you to
> >save in most any image file format you wish.
>
> A bit of a pain though considering there are about 2000 frames :-) Also I
> did try the method with Paint Shop Pro 4 but couldn't get it to work with
> the default Win98 mpeg player that Microsoft wrote. It kept getting a black
> rectangle instead of the actual frame in the screen capture.
>
> Thanks,
> Christopher Fairbairn.

Post a reply to this message

>A bit of a pain though considering there are about 2000 frames :-) Also I
>did try the method with Paint Shop Pro 4 but couldn't get it to work with
>the default Win98 mpeg player that Microsoft wrote. It kept getting a black
>rectangle instead of the actual frame in the screen capture.

You can try the QuickTime Movie player, it should allow screen shoots.

    Thorsten

Post a reply to this message

> >I don't have a specific file name in mind but have seen software
> >to do this. You might try a search at http://filepile.com
> >
> >Another approach would be to run the mpeg in question in single frame
> >playback mode and use a program like Paint Shop Pro to do screen
> >captures of the frames you are interested in. This will allow you to
> >save in most any image file format you wish.
>
> A bit of a pain though considering there are about 2000 frames :-) Also I
> did try the method with Paint Shop Pro 4 but couldn't get it to work with
> the default Win98 mpeg player that Microsoft wrote. It kept getting a black
> rectangle instead of the actual frame in the screen capture.
>
> Thanks,
> Christopher Fairbairn.

My next suggestion then is to take a look at http://mpeg.org
They might be able to direct you in the right direction.

Ken Tyler

Post a reply to this message

> >I don't have a specific file name in mind but have seen software
> >to do this. You might try a search at http://filepile.com
> >
> >Another approach would be to run the mpeg in question in single frame
> >playback mode and use a program like Paint Shop Pro to do screen
> >captures of the frames you are interested in. This will allow you to
> >save in most any image file format you wish.
>
> A bit of a pain though considering there are about 2000 frames :-) Also I
> did try the method with Paint Shop Pro 4 but couldn't get it to work with
> the default Win98 mpeg player that Microsoft wrote. It kept getting a black
> rectangle instead of the actual frame in the screen capture.
>
> Thanks,
> Christopher Fairbairn.

Hi Chris,

I don't know, whether you have any programming skills. If it's the case,
there are freeware or PD mpeg-players available in source. It shouldn't
be the big problem to write a file instead of copying a bitmap to
screen. Targa is easy to create. If this is a way you would try to go
and need more hints how to do so, you can contact me start of next week
at my company. I'm sitting behind a firewall and will not be able to
post here during the week, so you will have to contact me directly.

My company email address is: Hei### [at] bbnhpcom

Post a reply to this message