POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.animations : CSG planes ++render time? Server Time
29 Jul 2024 00:30:02 EDT (-0400)
  CSG planes ++render time? (Message 11 to 11 of 11)
From: John VanSickle
Subject: Re: CSG planes ++render time?
Date: 22 Nov 1998 15:00:35
Message: <36586D6B.8202CB00@erols.com>
Greg M. Johnson wrote:

> Perhaps this question is not about animations, per se, but I'm trying
> to follow a select few of these povray newsgroups.
>
> I am working on an animation.  I had the characters running on a
> plane.   The render time for 50 frames was maybe 12 hours. I wanted
> to make them running instead on one long narrow strip.   I set up
> some CSG with the plane, by looking at the intersection of three
> planes.   The render time increased to over 24 hours.   I don't have
> the parsing vs. true render time, etc., in front of me.  Does CSG
> with infinite objects greatly increase overall render time?

Absolutely.  When you put a CSG made of infinite objects in your scene,
POVRay does an intersection check for every component of the CSG for
every ray cast.  When you use anti-aliasing, area lights, and so on,
those extra rays are checked as well.

If you make an object from a CSG of infinite objects, use manual
bounding.  I had a space ship that was a union of 65 objects, which
were intersections of 18 planes.  When I bound each intersection with
a sphere, rendering speed doubled.

Regards,
John