POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Making Patterns with functions Server Time
9 Jun 2024 10:30:35 EDT (-0400)
  Making Patterns with functions (Message 8 to 17 of 27)
<<< Previous 7 Messages Goto Latest 10 Messages Next 10 Messages >>>
From: Thomas de Groot
Subject: Re: Making Patterns with functions
Date: 10 Jan 2024 02:08:36
Message: <659e4274@news.povray.org>
Op 09/01/2024 om 21:07 schreef Bald Eagle:
> Enjoy the eye and mind candy.

Oh LOL! Well done :-)

--
Thomas

Post a reply to this message

From: And
Date: 10 Jan 2024 22:25:00
Message: <web.659f5f83d81b8479d7bff071aa81652d@news.povray.org>
> Over the last 2 days, I've fallen down the mathematical pattern rabbit hole, and
> have been experimenting with all manner of what can be done with a simple
> pigment {function {}}
> statement.
>
> I currently have a list of 155 different patterns, including simple y = f(x)
> style functions, implicit equations (some combination of x&y) = (some other
> combination of x&y), and even some parametric polar equations and what I believe
> are parametric Cartesian equations.
>
> Hammering out that many equations one after the other and using different
> methods to visualize the "raw" results has allowed me to learn some new things
> and gain valuable insights into how best achieve a good, aesthetically pleasing
> result, and why some patterns might be difficult to implement in the absence of
> various "tricks".
>
> At this junction, I would like to thank everyone in the POV-Ray community, and
> especially Tor Olav Kristensen, Sam Benge, jr, William Pokorny, Jerome Grimbert,
> as well as the vast Shadertoy community - most notably Inigo Quilez, Martijn
> Steinrucken, and FabriceNeyret2, for inspiring me, and setting me on the path of
> discovery with regard to using functions to make amazing patterns.
>
> With that, I'll just leave here a most amazing Greek frieze pattern, produced by
> an astonishingly small amount of code, adapted to SDL from a shader by
> FabriceNeyret2.
>
> While this is probably one of the most complex patterns I've adapted, simply due
> to some specialized and highly technical methods that make its visibility even
> possible, I'd love to see people experimenting with simple equations to produce
> interesting patterns that we can build a library of.
>
> After progressively trimming down the amount of code I need to make a simple
> grid on a plane, I'd love to see such patterns code-golfed down to the bare
> minimum, and then parameterized to increase their variation and versatility.
>
> Happy New Year, everyone.
>
> - Bald Eagle

Wow, this one looks not easy and beautiful.

Post a reply to this message

From: Bald Eagle
Date: 22 Jan 2024 14:50:00
Message: <web.65aec611d81b84791f9dae3025979125@news.povray.org>

(Still experimenting and struggling with various aspects of getting patterns
from other platforms to play well with SDL.)

> Hammering out that many equations one after the other ... has allowed me to learn
some new things and gain valuable i
nsights ...

OK, just to list the ones that I've written down so far:
(Questions, comments, and constructive criticism welcome as always)

Important tips to generate quality patterns from equations
Be very careful with the use of parentheses - especially when + or - is in an
equation.  Group terms.
 You may want to declare different parts of a complex equation as separate
functions, then combine them in the final function
Use fmod instead of mod to get a regular repetition of a pattern across the
origin
 HOWEVER, sometimes using mod in certain functions gives a better (more
expected) result - so try both
Use Mike Williams' "shell" trick for isosurfaces to give an infinitely thin line
a visible thickness
Change the line thickness to give definition to patterns that may not show up
with smaller values.
Some equations don't cross the zero/integer/mod threshold often enough to show
finer details.  Multiply the
WHOLE equation (use parentheses) by a factor to increase the number of
lines/levels.
Zoom in or out to see pattern attributes that may not be visible or clearly
rendered.
If you're graphing y as a function of x, then you must write it in the form of:
function {y - formula} since when y=formula, the value is 0
If you're graphing a 2-argument function of both x and y, then you must write it
in the form of: function {(x - x_formula) + (y - y_formula)}

If you're graphing a polar equation, then write it in the form of: function {r -
formula}

POV-Ray's internal method of wrapping function values winds up hiding negative
vs positive parts,
 and won't be revealed until made as an isosurface, or the function is shifted
by + 0.5 and visualized with a color map

If you're using functions that return values in the 0-255 range, you're going to
have to divide the result by 255

If the function repeats over a range of 0-255, then you're going to have to use
mod (Function (x, y, z), 256)/255

You're going to need function versions of HSV to RGB to perform color
calculations

For full-color patterns, you're going to separate functions for r, g, and b,
plus an average texture using all 3 functions

There are common functions and operations that the function parser doesn't
recognize, and you'll have to write your own versions of

identifiers previously declared in a scene (even for loop iterators!) cannot
then be used in a function

If you're experiencing a blank pattern (all black/white/gray) then you have
likely forgotten to explicitly include x, y, and z into your function
argument list.  If your function takes some value N as an argument, but also
uses x, y, or z, then you must #declare F = function (x, y, z, N) {}

If your pattern only appears in the first quadrant (upper right, both x and y
are positive), then you will likely need to use abs(X) and abs(y) in your
equation

Post a reply to this message

> (Still experimenting and struggling with various aspects of getting patterns
> from other platforms to play well with SDL.)
>
> Important tips to generate quality patterns from equations

> Use Mike Williams' "shell" trick for isosurfaces to give an infinitely thin line
> a visible thickness

Say what??!!
That would be really useful.

Do you have a link to this trick, or a short explanation? (--keeping my fingers
crossed--)

Post a reply to this message