POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : No semicolon allowed in Tuple-style assignments? Server Time
18 Apr 2024 20:54:08 EDT (-0400)
  No semicolon allowed in Tuple-style assignments? (Message 1 to 10 of 10)
From: Bald Eagle
Subject: No semicolon allowed in Tuple-style assignments?
Date: 26 Mar 2023 15:35:00
Message: <web.64209db9e0deeaab1f9dae3025979125@news.povray.org>
So, I was just coding a few more macros, and I wanted to return a few vectors.

Pre-3.8, I'd normally handle this using a small array, but the nested macro call
that I was copy-paste-editing had the output that I needed as arguments, and I
figured I'd just use the tuple-style #declare.

I got a weird error about "expecting } found ; instead" and as all of my other
bits of code in the scene were working, with #declare LValue = value; inside of
union {}s, I was puzzled and confused.

After checking that there wasn't some { that got put somewhere by accident, I
took one of the tuple assignments
#declare (this, that) = ThisMacroReturns2Values (arg1, arg2, ar3);
and deleted the trailing semicolon - and BEHOLD!  the error vanishes.

That makes for coding awkwardness and confusion.

(I also run into the same kind of thing when I'm putting commas into a cylinder
{} and use an extra comma in between the second endpoint and the cylinder
radious - POV-Ray no likey.)

Post a reply to this message

> After checking that there wasn't some { that got put somewhere by accident, I
> took one of the tuple assignments
> #declare (this, that) = ThisMacroReturns2Values (arg1, arg2, ar3);
> and deleted the trailing semicolon - and BEHOLD!  the error vanishes.
>
> That makes for coding awkwardness and confusion.

had a quick look at some code where I use tuple assignments, all are '#local'
rather than '#declare', but I think your example should work.  (see my
'pvars.inc')

regards, jr.

Post a reply to this message

> After checking that there wasn't some { that got put somewhere by accident, I
> took one of the tuple assignments
> #declare (this, that) = ThisMacroReturns2Values (arg1, arg2, ar3);
> and deleted the trailing semicolon - and BEHOLD!  the error vanishes.
>
> That makes for coding awkwardness and confusion.
>
> (I also run into the same kind of thing when I'm putting commas into a cylinder
> {} and use an extra comma in between the second endpoint and the cylinder
> radious - POV-Ray no likey.)

Tried a few things quickly and v3.8 behavior I think OK. Test scene below:

//---
#version 3.8;

#macro Mac00()
     (1,2)
#end

#declare (V1,V2) = Mac00();
#debug concat(str(V1,-1,-1)," ",str(V2,-1,-1),"\n")

#declare (V1,V2) = Mac00()
#debug concat(str(V1,-1,-1)," ",str(V2,-1,-1),"\n")

#declare Cyl00 = cylinder { 0 1 0.1 }
#declare Cyl01 = cylinder { 0, 1 0.1 }
#declare Cyl02 = cylinder { 0, 1, 0.1 }
#declare Cyl03 = cylinder { 0 1, 0.1 }
// #declare Cyl04 = cylinder { 0 1,, 0.1 }  // Valid complaint
// #declare Cyl05 = cylinder { 0 1, 0.1, }  // Valid complaint
// #declare Cyl06 = cylinder { 0, 1,, 0.1 } // Valid complaint

#error "stopping early"
//---

Bill P.

Post a reply to this message