POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : New random distribution macros Server Time
19 Apr 2024 20:49:23 EDT (-0400)
  New random distribution macros (Message 6 to 15 of 17)
<<< Previous 5 Messages Goto Latest 10 Messages Next 2 Messages >>>
From: Thomas de Groot
Subject: Re: New random distribution macros
Date: 4 Mar 2021 02:41:16
Message: <60408f1c@news.povray.org>
Op 03/03/2021 om 13:00 schreef Bald Eagle:

>> I am quite a heavy user of VRand_In_Obj() myself, and except for
>> VRand_On_Sphere there are no other "ON" (flat) distributions available
>> where objects are concerned. I wonder if your list of "ON" objects
>> cannot be reduced by one single VRand_On_Obj() macro? At least where 3d
>> objects are concerned?
>
> Well, unless you have some insight into _how_ to accomplish that, where I will
> once again go "oh - duh.  I should have seen that,"   then I think it's a bit
> more complicated than that.
>
> How do you "get to" the inside hole of a torus with such a method?
> 2 holes?  3?  42?
> What if I have a bowl that I want to cover the _inside_ of with random points?

Ouch! That hurts! :-) You are absolutely right of course and I didn't
think the problem through obviously.

--
Thomas

Post a reply to this message

From: Kenneth
Date: 4 Mar 2021 09:05:07
Message: <web.6040e7d8296d8a3bd98418910@news.povray.org>

> And then, as I discovered, after hunting down a curious line of code in Ingo's
> vrand on sphere macro, that there's the matter of not just randomly
> placed - but EVENLY placed.   The distributions can be quite tricky.
>
> Lets say we take a landscape heightfield and try to place objects onto
> it.   If we just trace() straight down from an imaginary rectangle of
> ray starting coordinates, then the regions of rapidly changing elevation
> don't get as much arc-length coverage as the flat parts.

Yeah, that little problem has always been a thorny one to try and solve. But I
just had a wild idea (possibly a naive one):
It seems to me that the pixel positions of a *u-v map* of a HF might somehow be
used to generate the trace-from points. Since the u-v map is by nature a
'stretched-out' representation of the HF itself-- covering all of the HF's area,
and with more points or pixel positions than a typical
'trace-down-from-rectangular-area' scheme -- the uv-map's points or pixels could
then be correlated (somehow) with the corresponding points on the HF... the
result being to 'evenly' cover the HF with trace rays, even on steep elevations.
That's what I see in my minds eye, anyway.

In "shapes.inc", there are macros for creating mesh HFs in various shapes-- I'm
thinking of HF_Square() there, which then uses HF_Create() to produces u-v
coordinates, I think. (It has been awhile since I've used them.) Maybe the code
there would give a clue as to how this scheme could be implemented, in concert
with trace.

Post a reply to this message

> > And then, as I discovered, after hunting down a curious line of code in Ingo's
> > vrand on sphere macro, that there's the matter of not just randomly
> > placed - but EVENLY placed.   The distributions can be quite tricky.
> >
> > Lets say we take a landscape heightfield and try to place objects onto
> > it.   If we just trace() straight down from an imaginary rectangle of
> > ray starting coordinates, then the regions of rapidly changing elevation
> > don't get as much arc-length coverage as the flat parts.
> >

> Yeah, that little problem has always been a thorny one to try and solve. But I
> just had a wild idea (possibly a naive one):
> It seems to me that the pixel positions of a *u-v map* of a HF might somehow be
> used to generate the trace-from points. Since the u-v map is by nature a
> 'stretched-out' representation of the HF itself-- covering all of the HF's area,
> and with more points or pixel positions than a typical
> 'trace-down-from-rectangular-area' scheme -- the uv-map's points or pixels could
> then be correlated (somehow) with the corresponding points on the HF... the
> result being to 'evenly' cover the HF with trace rays, even on steep elevations.
> That's what I see in my minds eye, anyway.

The rectangle's x,z coordinates are the exact same thing as the u,v coordinates
of the heightfield, in terms of the fact that you can't subdivide the u,v's any
differently than the x,z's.   Aside from scale and absolute location, they're
exactly the same.
What needs to be done is to calculate the arc length of the curve in the u or v
direction, and then compensate for that additional distance by clustering more
random samples in those areas.

https://www.mathwords.com/a/arc_length_of_a_curve.htm

This seems to be closely related to the "importance sampling" clipka was looking
for.... 5 years ago. :O
http://news.povray.org/povray.advanced-users/thread/%3C57bf8a2f%241%40news.povray.org%3E/?ttop=433049&toff=150&mtop=410
480

It's NOT trivial, but if it were simply a matter of investing the time to
one-time algorithmically process the hf for a scene and save the data to a file,
then it probably would be worth doing...

http://news.povray.org/web.60330f52d0c3b58b1f9dae300%40news.povray.org

Post a reply to this message