POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Road Surface Typeface Server Time
23 Apr 2024 19:15:54 EDT (-0400)
  Road Surface Typeface (Message 11 to 20 of 24)
<<< Previous 10 Messages Goto Latest 10 Messages Next 4 Messages >>>
From: Alain
Subject: Re: Road Surface Typeface
Date: 13 Mar 2018 16:46:25
Message: <5aa838a1@news.povray.org>
Le 18-03-12 à 12:58, Bald Eagle a écrit :

> As a natural and plentiful supply of Dried Frog Pills (TM) is becoming more
> scarce and illicit as the decades whiz by, errant thoughts on various subjects
> and POV-Ray such as the following continually fill my mind:
>
> The lettering on road surfaces is a vertically stretched typeface, to compensate
> for the somewhat extreme viewing angle from the driver's seat.
>
> I have not seen any specifications for these letters and arrows, and have not
> yet found a source to download such a font / typeface.
>
> Doing a bit of trigonometric scribbling, at first glance it appears that the
> upper half and lower half of such a typeface [ideally] ought to be scaled to
> different extents.
>
> So my questions are:
> a) can anyone dig up DOT specs?
> b) Are such fonts available for download?
> c) What's the best way to display a text{} object such that the bottom half and
> top half are unequally scaled?
> (I'm thinking CSG-type cropping, or something like Dave Blandston's excellent
> work with text)
>
> I'll likely work up some diagrams and equations, but I figured I'd just throw
> this out there for fun.

For the fonts :
There is a font called "skyscraper" that you may find interesting for
that purpose.
You can use any stencil like font vertically scaled by a factor from 2.5
to 4.

I've never noticed any uneven scaling. Some characters and symbols may
look that way, but are very probably not.

I don't think that there are any real DOT specs, or at least, not any
universal ones. Those letterings are probably eyeballed to look about
correct. Then, some countries could edict some "standards" based on that.

Alain

Post a reply to this message