POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Casting shadows onto hdri light probe Server Time
28 Mar 2024 11:30:46 EDT (-0400)
  Casting shadows onto hdri light probe (Message 1 to 3 of 3)
From: Bald Eagle
Subject: Casting shadows onto hdri light probe
Date: 29 Sep 2017 10:20:00
Message: <web.59ce567a2e068f8fc437ac910@news.povray.org>
How exactly does one cast a shdow onto an hdri light probe image - since most
are cube or sphere mapped images?

Does one map a non-emmisive copy just inside the emissive one acting as a light
source?  Just wondering how to make it reasonably seamless, as the scenes I've
seen so far are on tables or other occluding surfaces.

This just occurred to me:
Can I add a y-gradient to the finish {} block, going from emission 0 to 1?

Thanks!

Post a reply to this message

Le 17-09-29 à 10:19, Bald Eagle a écrit :
> How exactly does one cast a shdow onto an hdri light probe image - since most
> are cube or sphere mapped images?
>
> Does one map a non-emmisive copy just inside the emissive one acting as a light
> source?  Just wondering how to make it reasonably seamless, as the scenes I've
> seen so far are on tables or other occluding surfaces.
>
> This just occurred to me:
> Can I add a y-gradient to the finish {} block, going from emission 0 to 1?
>
> Thanks!

You just need to make it non-emissive, diffuse only. Next, put it in a
light_group. That way, ANY object can cast shadows onto it. Be sure that
you don't make it to large.

Post a reply to this message

From: clipka
Date: 30 Sep 2017 02:02:53
Message: <59cf338d@news.povray.org>
Am 29.09.2017 um 16:19 schrieb Bald Eagle:

> This just occurred to me:
> Can I add a y-gradient to the finish {} block, going from emission 0 to 1?

That you can't, but you can put the gradient in the texture block, and
use a texture map going from one texture with emission 0 to a texture
with emission 1.