POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Shape Request Server Time
28 Mar 2024 18:50:03 EDT (-0400)
  Shape Request (Message 1 to 5 of 5)
From: Bald Eagle
Subject: Shape Request
Date: 15 May 2017 12:35:00
Message: <web.5919d79a74bd046bc437ac910@news.povray.org>
I have looked into doing some 4D projections into 3D space, but alas, the math
for the moment evades me.

With regard to constant-perceived-width objects, specifically in the present
case of planetary and satellite orbits, the projection of a torus would be a
useful little object to be able to have on-hand.

http://mathforum.org/mathimages/index.php/Projection_of_a_Torus

I'm envisioning 3 parameters for this:  major radius, and 2 minor radii - the
max and the min.

Thanks to anyone taking an interest!  :)

Post a reply to this message

Le 15/05/2017 à 18:30, Bald Eagle a écrit :
> I have looked into doing some 4D projections into 3D space, but alas, the math
> for the moment evades me.
>
> With regard to constant-perceived-width objects, specifically in the present
> case of planetary and satellite orbits, the projection of a torus would be a
> useful little object to be able to have on-hand.
>
> http://mathforum.org/mathimages/index.php/Projection_of_a_Torus
>
> I'm envisioning 3 parameters for this:  major radius, and 2 minor radii - the
> max and the min.
>
> Thanks to anyone taking an interest!  :)

A quick search for 4D torus found me that page:

http://www.dr-mikes-maths.com/4d-torus.html

which seems to make more sense than your link, at least on your link I
did not get the notion of 4D.

Now, if all you need is a classical 3D-donut shape with a hole not at
the center and yet a regular circle as bounding on the equator plane, it
might just be a matter of playing with fourth order polynomial.

So, can you clarify what you want ?

Post a reply to this message

Am 15.05.2017 um 18:30 schrieb Bald Eagle:
> I have looked into doing some 4D projections into 3D space, but alas, the math
> for the moment evades me.
>
> With regard to constant-perceived-width objects, specifically in the present
> case of planetary and satellite orbits, the projection of a torus would be a
> useful little object to be able to have on-hand.
>
> http://mathforum.org/mathimages/index.php/Projection_of_a_Torus
>
> I'm envisioning 3 parameters for this:  major radius, and 2 minor radii - the
> max and the min.
>
> Thanks to anyone taking an interest!  :)

I suspect that such a torus might not have the necessary numeric
stability to form artifact-free thin lines.

Personally, I'd try a sphere sweep based approximation instead --
provided the newest experimental version turns out to work as I'm hoping.

Post a reply to this message