POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Tierra project : view from space Server Time
28 Mar 2024 08:30:14 EDT (-0400)
  Tierra project : view from space (Message 1 to 3 of 3)
From: rodv92
Subject: Tierra project : view from space
Date: 22 Mar 2017 21:25:00
Message: <web.58d32382e43b2ade1d2ae3900@news.povray.org>
Hi group,

It seems that the tierra project, as far as i remember, is tile based.
I am thinking on a method to make it spherical (to simulate low earth orbit)

For the moment i see two options, one cheap and dirty, the other complicated.

cheap&dirty :
-Use an optical artifact to "sphericize" the scene. (would distort the straight
lines even at close distance however, but the effect would be manageable on a
straight "short segment" object, no ?

complicated :
- make several small terrain tiles and pave a polyhedra with a lot of facets

But there would be still a need to replace lightsys sky with a spherical media
(that should be doable, i have already a project for that)

Any ideas ? A project that does that may already exist... or another new library
i do not know the existence of... ;)

Have a nice day

Rod.

Post a reply to this message

> It seems that the tierra project, as far as i remember, is tile based.
> I am thinking on a method to make it spherical (to simulate low earth orbit)
>
> For the moment i see two options, one cheap and dirty, the other complicated.
>
> cheap&dirty :
> -Use an optical artifact to "sphericize" the scene. (would distort the straight
> lines even at close distance however, but the effect would be manageable on a
> straight "short segment" object, no ?
>
> complicated :
> - make several small terrain tiles and pave a polyhedra with a lot of facets
>
> But there would be still a need to replace lightsys sky with a spherical media
> (that should be doable, i have already a project for that)
>
> Any ideas ? A project that does that may already exist... or another new library
> i do not know the existence of... ;)
>
> Have a nice day
>
> Rod.

Hi Rod,

If you've not found it already, see Christoph Horman's
http://earth.imagico.de/main.php site.

Hope your day is a good one as well,
Bill P.

Post a reply to this message

> > It seems that the tierra project, as far as i remember, is tile based.
> > I am thinking on a method to make it spherical (to simulate low earth orbit)
> >
> > For the moment i see two options, one cheap and dirty, the other complicated.
> >
> > cheap&dirty :
> > -Use an optical artifact to "sphericize" the scene. (would distort the straight
> > lines even at close distance however, but the effect would be manageable on a
> > straight "short segment" object, no ?
> >
> > complicated :
> > - make several small terrain tiles and pave a polyhedra with a lot of facets
> >
> > But there would be still a need to replace lightsys sky with a spherical media
> > (that should be doable, i have already a project for that)
> >
> > Any ideas ? A project that does that may already exist... or another new library
> > i do not know the existence of... ;)
> >
> > Have a nice day
> >
> > Rod.
> >

> Hi Rod,
>
> If you've not found it already, see Christoph Horman's
> http://earth.imagico.de/main.php site.
>
> Hope your day is a good one as well,
> Bill P.

Thanks for the input. I checked and will try to get in touch with Cristoph
Horman. The goal is to get a super high resolution cylindrical map of earth.
After thinking, i'll drop the 3D constraint for terrain at LEO altitudes and use
a simple 2D texture.

For the moment i used https://www.h-schmidt.net/map/ and the 43200*16000 rez map
based on NASA blue marble and a simple image map and i am quite satisfied with
the result.
If anyone finds something even bigger, i am interested.

Rod.