POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Perspective correction Server Time
28 Mar 2024 13:47:50 EDT (-0400)
  Perspective correction (Message 1 to 3 of 3)
From: Bald Eagle
Subject: Perspective correction
Date: 15 Mar 2017 13:05:01
Message: <web.58c9735a66641a00c437ac910@news.povray.org>
I was wondering if anyone has ever done any perspective correction using POV-Ray
/ SDL.

Something like taking a photograph of a piece of paper at a non-perpendicular
angle, and then applying some sort of matrix transform to the resulting image in
order to get a perspective-corrected result.

I often use photos and diagrams to guide creation of things by CSG, and things
can get to be quite "off".

I was also wondering if some sort of system could be designed to use POV-Ray to
use data points in an image of say, a room, to construct a basic 3D
representation of the room.

I know there are architectural and remodeling apps that can do this, 3D objects
can be seamlessly inserted into legacy photos and video, and IIRC someone had
experimented a while back with using a POV-Ray to identify the location of an
object in the scene using the screen coordinates.

Has anyone thought about any of this?

Post a reply to this message

> I was wondering if anyone has ever done any perspective correction using POV-Ray
> / SDL.
>
> Something like taking a photograph of a piece of paper at a non-perpendicular
> angle, and then applying some sort of matrix transform to the resulting image in
> order to get a perspective-corrected result.

The much regretted Doctor John had written a macro in 2005 doing just
that (see attached test file)

> I often use photos and diagrams to guide creation of things by CSG, and things
> can get to be quite "off".
>
> I was also wondering if some sort of system could be designed to use POV-Ray to
> use data points in an image of say, a room, to construct a basic 3D
> representation of the room.
>
> I know there are architectural and remodeling apps that can do this, 3D objects
> can be seamlessly inserted into legacy photos and video, and IIRC someone had
> experimented a while back with using a POV-Ray to identify the location of an
> object in the scene using the screen coordinates.

Yes, Norbert Kern wrote a macro in 2006 to find the coordinates of a
scene location based on the screen coordinates (see attached test file).

--
Thomas

Post a reply to this message

Attachments:
Download 'utf-8' (4 KB) Download 'utf-8' (7 KB)