POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : UV mapping without image file? Server Time
29 Mar 2024 08:14:10 EDT (-0400)
  UV mapping without image file? (Message 1 to 5 of 5)
From: Bald Eagle
Subject: UV mapping without image file?
Date: 28 Jul 2016 20:20:01
Message: <web.579aa111e98267af5e7df57c0@news.povray.org>
I have a simple procedural texture that I want to include in a layered texture
definition (agate with a simple color map).
Agate is 3D, and doesn't quite give me the sort of look I want - I think it
would look much better wrapped around the surface of my object.   A simple box
looks pretty close to what I want.

Is there a way to define a texture, and include that directly into a uv-mapped
texture definition without going through the whole rendering to a file and then
pulling the image back in for the uv-mapping?

As always, thanks.

Post a reply to this message

On 28/07/2016 8:19 PM, Bald Eagle wrote:
> Is there a way to define a texture, and include that directly into a uv-mapped
> texture definition without going through the whole rendering to a file and then
> pulling the image back in for the uv-mapping?
>
> As always, thanks.

Snip from docs;

3.4.7.1.12.2 Function Image

   pigment {
     image_map {
       function 10,10 {
         pigment { checker 1,0 scale .5  }
       }
     }

Some uses include creating heightfields from procedural textures or
wrapping a slice of a 3d texture or function around a cylinder or
extrude it along an axis.

Stephen S

Post a reply to this message

Am 29.07.2016 um 02:19 schrieb Bald Eagle:

> Is there a way to define a texture, and include that directly into a uv-mapped
> texture definition without going through the whole rendering to a file and then
> pulling the image back in for the uv-mapping?

Absolutely. It's as simple as adding the `uv_mapping` keyword to the
object. POV-Ray will take the XY plane of whatever texture you choose,
image-based or otherwise.

Post a reply to this message