POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Right hyperbolic cylinder Server Time
28 Apr 2024 17:01:32 EDT (-0400)
  Right hyperbolic cylinder (Message 1 to 3 of 3)
From: bakom
Subject: Right hyperbolic cylinder
Date: 16 Jul 2015 07:10:00
Message: <web.55a7901f65bb772f5780586c0@news.povray.org>
Hello,
I'm trying to make a Right hyperbolic cylinder as

http://img.ctrlv.in/img/15/07/16/55a78f6b43b96.png

I have three points, apex-to-asymptotic distance for making hyperbola,
rectangular half-width.
I was trying to make it by taking help of non-linear functions but in it z axis
is not given

function { pow(x,2) + y }

as given on page
www.google.co.in/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CCAQFjAAahUKEwid96qr9t7GAhVOBo4KHTCTBpE&u
rl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.povray.org%2Fdocumentation%2Fview%2F3.6.1%2F73%2F&ei=6EGnVZ3jEc6MuASwppqICQ&usg=AFQjCNFkqWt6o07PYoG
yV5c74ncDYlqxuA&sig2=ayxlZZLEt8y3oNClqasTIA&bvm=bv.97949915,d.c2E

Is there any macro which can be used to make hyperbolic cylinder.

Thanks
Gurwinder Singh Bains

Post a reply to this message

> Hello, I'm trying to make a Right hyperbolic cylinder as
>
> http://img.ctrlv.in/img/15/07/16/55a78f6b43b96.png
>
> I have three points, apex-to-asymptotic distance for making
> hyperbola, rectangular half-width. I was trying to make it by
> taking help of non-linear functions but in it z axis is not given
>
> function { pow(x,2) + y }

That's look like a parabolic, not hyperbolic.

When the z axis is not given, it extend to infinity on z axis. A
contained_by { box ... } might help to limit the range of z's value.

> as given on page
> www.google.co.in/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact
=8&ved=0CCAQFjAAahUKEwid96qr9t7GAhVOBo4KHTCTBpE&u

rl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.povray.org%2Fdocumentation%2Fview%2F3.6.1%2F73%2F&ei
=6EGnVZ3jEc6MuASwppqICQ&usg=AFQjCNFkqWt6o07PYoG
> yV5c74ncDYlqxuA&sig2=ayxlZZLEt8y3oNClqasTIA&bvm=bv.97949915,d.c2E

That's a convoluted way to reference Povray documentation:
> http://www.povray.org/documentation/view/3.6.1/73/

> Is there any macro which can be used to make hyperbolic cylinder.

as Wolfram says:
> http://mathworld.wolfram.com/Hyperbola.html

the function might be something alike:
function{ pow(x,2)/a2 - pow(y,2)/b2 - 1 }

a2 is the square of half distance between both extrema
b2 is c2 - a2, with c2 being the square of half distance between
"focal" points (c2 > a2).

From: bakom
Date: 20 Jul 2015 00:05:00
Message: <web.55ac72139f26fdd3880b0aeb0@news.povray.org>
> > http://img.ctrlv.in/img/15/07/16/55a78f6b43b96.png
> >
> > I have three points, apex-to-asymptotic distance for making
> > hyperbola, rectangular half-width. I was trying to make it by
> > taking help of non-linear functions but in it z axis is not given
> >
> > function { pow(x,2) + y }
>
> That's look like a parabolic, not hyperbolic.

Thanks for correcting me.

> When the z axis is not given, it extend to infinity on z axis. A
> contained_by { box ... } might help to limit the range of z's value.
> >
> That's a convoluted way to reference Povray documentation:
> > http://www.povray.org/documentation/view/3.6.1/73/
>

> > Is there any macro which can be used to make hyperbolic cylinder.
> >

> as Wolfram says:
> > http://mathworld.wolfram.com/Hyperbola.html
>
> the function might be something alike:
> function{ pow(x,2)/a2 - pow(y,2)/b2 - 1 }
>
> a2 is the square of half distance between both extrema
> b2 is c2 - a2, with c2 being the square of half distance between
> "focal" points (c2 > a2).

I worked on the above, but I'm unable to get what I want till now. As I
mentioned I have
three points, apex-to-asymptotic distance for making
hyperbola, rectangular half-width.
So I'm trying to make my own macro. So is there any example for it?

--
Thanks
Gurwinder Singh Bains