POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Randomly timed events Server Time
16 May 2024 16:10:27 EDT (-0400)
  Randomly timed events (Message 1 to 7 of 7)
From: Bald Eagle
Subject: Randomly timed events
Date: 29 Aug 2013 08:25:00
Message: <web.521f3cdb71b5bb97dd2ebc560@news.povray.org>
I'm trying to do a quick and dirty simulation of lightning flashes with
momentarily appearing point light_sources in a scene, and it appears that I
don't get any flashes except coincidentally and suspiciously in what appears to
be the very last frame.

All I'm doing right now is

#if (Flash = clock)
light_source { < rand(FlashX), rand(FlashY), rand(FlashZ) > color rgb <1,1,1> *
rand(Brightness) }
#end

I'm thinking that I need to "open the window" of where the random value and the
clock coincide to increase the probability of a flash - although I'm concerned
that my lack of insight into pseudo-random numbers in POV-Ray might doom me to
pre-destined failure here...  (See other thread on random placement of objects)

Has anyone worked with this type of thing before?
Helpful suggestions?

Post a reply to this message

> light_source { < rand(FlashX), rand(FlashY), rand(FlashZ) > color rgb <1,1,1> *
> rand(Brightness) }
> #end

How are you defining the variables Flash, FlashX, FlashY, FlashZ,
Brightness?

Post a reply to this message

> How are you defining the variables Flash, FlashX, FlashY, FlashZ,
> Brightness?

#declare Flash = seed (1);
#declare Brightness = seed (2);
#declare FlashX = seed (3);