POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : How does one write UTF8 characters to the message window or a file? Server Time
30 Jun 2024 22:44:53 EDT (-0400)
  How does one write UTF8 characters to the message window or a file? (Message 1 to 2 of 2)
From: Cousin Ricky
Subject: How does one write UTF8 characters to the message window or a file?
Date: 15 Aug 2009 16:55:01
Message: <web.4a872065bbf6d1ae78641e0c0@news.povray.org>
I've found myself having to dabble in math again, but I can't get Greek letters
to output on the message window or to a text file.  They work fine as graphical
output, but that's a very combersome way to get output--and it can't be copied
to the clipboard.

My font for the message window and for Notepad.exe is Lucida Console, which has
all the UTF8 characters that I tried to output.

I seem to recall having done it before.  Has something changed recently?  Am I
doing something wrong?

POV-Ray version: 3.6.2
Hardware: HP Pavillion dv5030us Notebook PC
Operating system: Windows XP Media Center Edition 2002 Service Pack 3

Sample scene file:
__________________

global_settings { charset utf8 }

#declare Line = "\u03C0 = 3.14159..."

#debug concat (Line, "\n")

#fopen Fout "utf8.log" write
#write (Fout, Line, "\n")
#fclose Fout

text
{  ttf "arial.ttf" Line 0.001, 0
   pigment { rgb 1 }
   finish { ambient 1 }
   translate <-3, 0, 6>
}

Post a reply to this message

> I've found myself having to dabble in math again, but I can't get Greek letters
> to output on the message window or to a text file.

This is not supported.

	Thorsten