POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : particle system Server Time
29 Jun 2024 02:17:47 EDT (-0400)
  particle system (Message 1 to 4 of 4)
From: Kay-Ju
Subject: particle system
Date: 26 Jun 2009 05:00:00
Message: <web.4a448d38b99e86456aaf5a00@news.povray.org>
Can i use an image_map to create a
3D-particle system?

I.e. i have a field consisting of let's say 32
by 32 small spheres and i want them to be translated
along the y-axis according to the map-color.

Can this be done?
In an easy way?

Post a reply to this message

From: Chris B
Subject: Re: particle system
Date: 26 Jun 2009 05:26:31
Message: <4a449447$1@news.povray.org>
"Kay-Ju" <k.j### [at] gmxde> wrote in message
> Can i use an image_map to create a
> 3D-particle system?
>
> I.e. i have a field consisting of let's say 32
> by 32 small spheres and i want them to be translated
> along the y-axis according to the map-color.
>
> Can this be done?
> In an easy way?

You can declare a pigment using the image as an image_map in the pigment
declaration.
You can use two nested loops to work through the grid positions and use the
'eval_pigment' function in POV-Rays 'functions.inc' to tell you what the
color is at that point on the image.
You can then use that color as a height value when adding each sphere to the
scene.

The default image_map is layed on the X-Y plane, so you'll either need to
rotate it or you'll need to pass the X and Z positions into the eval_pigment
function to represent the X and Y coordinates.
By default the image is scaled to 1 unit high and 1 unit wide, so you'll
need to scale it or factor that into the positions you pass into
eval_pigment.

If you want to work with large numbers of spheres (e.g. 1000 by 1000), it's
worth extracting the SDL from the eval_pigment function and placing it
inline in your scene. You'll find it declares a function and you only need
to declare that function once rather than a million times, saving
significant processing time.

Regards,
Chris B.

Post a reply to this message