POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : coordinates of shadow Server Time
1 Jul 2024 05:49:14 EDT (-0400)
  coordinates of shadow (Message 1 to 2 of 2)
From: Luiz
Subject: coordinates of shadow
Date: 3 Apr 2009 21:10:03
Message: <web.49d6b2c9c8395b66981462dc0@news.povray.org>
Hello everybody,

I wonder if it is possible to somehow get the coordinates of a shadow... let me
explain:

I build sundials, and povray could be very useful in planning, using sunpos.inc
which comes with povray. If I, for instance have a sphere floating over a
plane, would it be possible to get the coordinates of the center of the shadow
of the sphere on the plane?

Thanks,
Luiz

Post a reply to this message

>I wonder if it is possible to somehow get the coordinates of a shadow... let me
>explain:
>
>I build sundials, and povray could be very useful in planning, using sunpos.inc
>which comes with povray. If I, for instance have a sphere floating over a
>plane, would it be possible to get the coordinates of the center of the shadow
>of the sphere on the plane?

You should be able to use trace() to trace a ray:
   to the plane
   from the position of the light source
   in the direction of (sphere centre minus position of light source)

--
Mike Williams
Gentleman of Leisure