POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : f_helix1 Server Time
1 Jul 2024 05:51:50 EDT (-0400)
  f_helix1 (Message 1 to 3 of 3)
From: Volker
Subject: f_helix1
Date: 22 Dec 2008 11:05:00
Message: <web.494fb96e9380d1d1a8f568080@news.povray.org>
Dear POV-Experts,

I have tried to get the helix function running --- it didn't work.
I then tried out the spiral function (f_spiral()) in the same setup -inside a
standard isosurface definition - and it worked right away as expected, so it's
not the fault of the test setup.

The best i could get out with the helix1 function was a cylinder in y-direction
when i used P3<P2 (Major < Minor radius!) unlike told in the help file.
I tried various values for P2 and P3, what changed the radius of the cylinder
but didn't have any other effect, no helix to be seen.
I also tried different values (i.e. 0.1, 0.5, 1, 2, 10) for P1 and well... no
effect.
For P4 i also tried 0 and 1 without effect.
P0=1, P5=2, P6=0;

[ f_helix1(x,y,z, P0, P1, P2, P3, P4, P5, P6) ]

Has anyone successfully created a helix with this function and can provide me
with a piece of working code or tell me what i did wrong?

Thanx and Merry Christmas

Volker

Post a reply to this message

>I have tried to get the helix function running --- it didn't work.
>I then tried out the spiral function (f_spiral()) in the same setup -inside a
>standard isosurface definition - and it worked right away as expected, so it's
>not the fault of the test setup.
>
>The best i could get out with the helix1 function was a cylinder in y-direction
>when i used P3<P2 (Major < Minor radius!) unlike told in the help file.
>I tried various values for P2 and P3, what changed the radius of the cylinder
>but didn't have any other effect, no helix to be seen.
>I also tried different values (i.e. 0.1, 0.5, 1, 2, 10) for P1 and well... no
>effect.
>For P4 i also tried 0 and 1 without effect.
>P0=1, P5=2, P6=0;
>
>[ f_helix1(x,y,z, P0, P1, P2, P3, P4, P5, P6) ]
>
>Has anyone successfully created a helix with this function and can provide me
>with a piece of working code or tell me what i did wrong?

There's an example at
  http://www.econym.demon.co.uk/isotut/builtin1.htm#helix1

  isosurface {
    function { f_helix1(x,y,z,2,5,0.1,0.3,1,2,45) }
        max_gradient 3
        contained_by{sphere {0,1}}
        pigment {rgb .9}
  }

For some values you may need high values of max_gradient. Check the
warnings in the Messages output.

--
Mike Williams
Gentleman of Leisure