POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Intensity Mapping Server Time
3 Jul 2024 06:10:29 EDT (-0400)
  Intensity Mapping (Message 11 to 13 of 13)
From: Alain
Subject: Re: Intensity Mapping
Date: 17 Dec 2008 23:02:21
Message: <4949cb4d@news.povray.org>
clipka nous illumina en ce 2008-12-17 19:29 -->
> "Colin" <nomail@nomail> wrote:
>> So what I'm looking for is if you were tracing photons, how many per unit area
>> strikes a particular position on a surface. We usually measure this in things
>> like W/m2 or lux (lumens/m2).
>
> That's basically what an orthographic shot of the surface with photon mapping
> will give you: A bitmap specifying how many photons have hit which point.
>
> If you crank up the number of photons high enough, you can probably get any
> precision you may need.
>
> (At least if you make sure that gamma correction is turned off, and your light
> brightness has a proper brightness to represented by the output image format
> you choose.)
>
> To my knowledge, the principle behind this is extremely simple: PoV will shoot
> photons, remember where they hit, and increase the brightness of the object
> accordingly.
>

> The only problematic thing with this might be if the light source itself is
> directly visible from your "test surface", as you want to eliminate the (most
> likely not really exact) conventional lighting. I don't know by heart whether
> you can turn off conventional lighting completely and just use photon mapping.
You can. Set ambient to zero. Make sure that the light_source never encounter
the target plane in the visible area. A way to do that is to have a transparent
object in front of the light_source, a whide and thin box with pigment{rgbt 1}
will do just fine.

> A more brute-force attempt would be to do the same thing with radiosity, which
> basically does the very same thing "backwards" and should lead to the same
> results given extremely high-quality settings), but is probably a waste of
> computing power for this application.
Radiosity would need a insane count, larger than the 1600 maximum.

--
Alain
You know you've been raytracing too long when you think 80s movies have the

Post a reply to this message

From: clipka
Date: 18 Dec 2008 15:25:01
Message: <web.494ab07867084438bdc576310@news.povray.org>
Alain <ele### [at] netscapenet> wrote:
> > The only problematic thing with this might be if the light source itself is
> > directly visible from your "test surface", as you want to eliminate the (most
> > likely not really exact) conventional lighting. I don't know by heart whether
> > you can turn off conventional lighting completely and just use photon mapping.
> You can. Set ambient to zero. Make sure that the light_source never encounter
> the target plane in the visible area. A way to do that is to have a transparent
> object in front of the light_source, a whide and thin box with pigment{rgbt 1}
> will do just fine.

I'm not sure how this will stop the classic lighting from the light_source, as
the object will not cast a shadow. And using an opaque "light block" will also
block photons.

Post a reply to this message

From: Christian Froeschlin
Date: 19 Dec 2008 18:40:22
Message: <494c30e6$1@news.povray.org>
clipka wrote:
> I'm not sure how this will stop the classic lighting from the light_source, as
> the object will not cast a shadow.

It will if you set it up as a photon target.