POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Yet another tricky light Server Time
1 Jul 2024 06:04:23 EDT (-0400)
  Yet another tricky light (Message 1 to 4 of 4)
From: Woody
Subject: Yet another tricky light
Date: 7 Jul 2008 14:15:01
Message: <web.48725cdab2e4562049b4acd50@news.povray.org>
Have another question regarding creating a shaped light. Let's say I have the
following simple scen

box{ -1, 1 scale 100 scale z/100000 translate z*-10 pigment{color Red}
finish{ambient 0}}
sphere{0,1 }
light_souce{ z*10 spotlight point_at z*-10 radius 30 falloff 30}

How do do I create a scene with a light source against the box with the shadow
of the sphere but without the sphere actually being in the scene. I though of
using a light_group and difference like

difference{
    light_group{
        box{ -1, 1 scale 100 scale z/100000 translate z*-10 pigment{color Red}
finish{ambient 0}}
        sphere{0,1 }
        light_souce{ z*10 spotlight point_at z*-10 radius 30 falloff 30}

    }
    light_group{
        sphere{0,1 }
    }
}

or even instead of a second light_group just using a sphere for the difference

difference{
    light_group{
        box{ -1, 1 scale 100 scale z/100000 translate z*-10 pigment{color Red}
finish{ambient 0}}
        sphere{0,1 }
        light_souce{ z*10 spotlight point_at z*-10 radius 30 falloff 30}

    }
    sphere{0,1 }
}

nothing seems to work though.

Any thoughts?

Post a reply to this message

> Have another question regarding creating a shaped light. Let's say I have
> the
> following simple scen
>
> box{ -1, 1 scale 100 scale z/100000 translate z*-10 pigment{color Red}
> finish{ambient 0}}
> sphere{0,1 }
> light_souce{ z*10 spotlight point_at z*-10 radius 30 falloff 30}
>
> How do do I create a scene with a light source against the box with the
> shadow
> of the sphere but without the sphere actually being in the scene. I though
> of
> using a light_group and difference like

Did you try adding 'no_image' to the sphere?

Chris B.

Post a reply to this message

Woody nous illumina en ce 2008-07-07 14:13 -->
> Have another question regarding creating a shaped light. Let's say I have the
> following simple scen
>
> box{ -1, 1 scale 100 scale z/100000 translate z*-10 pigment{color Red}
> finish{ambient 0}}
> sphere{0,1 }
> light_souce{ z*10 spotlight point_at z*-10 radius 30 falloff 30}
>
> How do do I create a scene with a light source against the box with the shadow
> of the sphere but without the sphere actually being in the scene. I though of
> using a light_group and difference like
>
> difference{
>     light_group{
>         box{ -1, 1 scale 100 scale z/100000 translate z*-10 pigment{color Red}
> finish{ambient 0}}
>         sphere{0,1 }
>         light_souce{ z*10 spotlight point_at z*-10 radius 30 falloff 30}
>
>     }
>     light_group{
>         sphere{0,1 }
>     }
> }
>
> or even instead of a second light_group just using a sphere for the difference
>
> difference{
>     light_group{
>         box{ -1, 1 scale 100 scale z/100000 translate z*-10 pigment{color Red}
> finish{ambient 0}}
>         sphere{0,1 }
>         light_souce{ z*10 spotlight point_at z*-10 radius 30 falloff 30}
>
>     }
>     sphere{0,1 }
> }
>

> nothing seems to work though.
>
> Any thoughts?

Try no_image. With that option, you won't see the object directly, but it will
cast shadow and be visible in reflections. You may also add no_reflection if you
have reflective surfaces but don't want that object to be seen in reflections.

--
Alain
You know you've been raytracing too long when you can no longer tell the

Post a reply to this message

From: Woody
Date: 7 Jul 2008 16:55:00
Message: <web.487282162053c93ed0bdfd6f0@news.povray.org>
Thanks, Chris B., Alain,

Was not aware of that keyword, as I was not aware of light_group until 3 or four
days ago.

-J