POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : an analytic geometry question Server Time
8 Jul 2024 19:52:49 EDT (-0400)
  an analytic geometry question (Message 11 to 11 of 11)
From: Mark Weyer
Subject: Re: an analytic geometry question
Date: 22 Oct 2007 07:00:01
Message: <web.471c81cde98c81e7fddaa4670@news.povray.org>
> > If you are still sure that you have a continuum of solutions
>
>                                                                     thus
> creating the continuum.

OK, reconsidering this, I agree that there probably is a continuum.
In my approach this results from the vector equation being an equation
between _unit_ vectors. Hence the equation essentially only removes two
degrees of freedom.
(Of course, all this assumes that everything is regular: The single
equation x*x+y*y=0 fixes both x and y, so thinking in terms of degrees
of freedom always is just heuristic.)