POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : sky_sphere in an object? Server Time
8 Jul 2024 19:05:15 EDT (-0400)
  sky_sphere in an object? (Message 1 to 3 of 3)
From: lovecraft
Subject: sky_sphere in an object?
Date: 13 Sep 2006 15:10:00
Message: <web.45085655dd88c84069bfb0110@news.povray.org>
I have been away from povray for some time.  And I thought I could do this.

 I wanted to put a sky_sphere in a object. I thought it could be done, or
somehow mapped to a pigment--clueless here.

 Anyone familiar with Chris Colefax's galaxy include?

 I tried rereading his examples of use, even attempting to use it as a
pigment for a box.  But to no avail. The box renders block with a nice star
filled sky everywhere but the box.

thanks much in advance,

_l

Post a reply to this message

> I have been away from povray for some time.  And I thought I could do this.
>

>  I wanted to put a sky_sphere in a object. I thought it could be done, or
> somehow mapped to a pigment--clueless here.
>
>  Anyone familiar with Chris Colefax's galaxy include?
>
>  I tried rereading his examples of use, even attempting to use it as a
> pigment for a box.  But to no avail. The box renders block with a nice star
> filled sky everywhere but the box.
>
> thanks much in advance,
>
> _l

I'm not familiar with the include.  Perhaps you can explain a bit better
what you intend to do.  Are you simply looking for spherical mapping on to
the box?

A sky_sphere is not an actual object with dimensions.  Basically if a POVRay
determines that a ray it shoots does not hit (and terminate at) an object,
the sky_sphere is evaluated for this ray.  It is just a background pigment.

-tgq

Post a reply to this message

lovecraft nous apporta ses lumieres en ce 13/09/2006 15:04:
>  I have been away from povray for some time.  And I thought I could do this.
>

>  I wanted to put a sky_sphere in a object. I thought it could be done, or
> somehow mapped to a pigment--clueless here.
>
>  Anyone familiar with Chris Colefax's galaxy include?
>
>  I tried rereading his examples of use, even attempting to use it as a
> pigment for a box.  But to no avail. The box renders block with a nice star
> filled sky everywhere but the box.
>
> thanks much in advance,
>
> _l

sky_sphere is a background feature, not an object.
That mean that you can't put a sky_sphere in an union to make a complexe object.
It's effectively an unit sphere, centered around the camera, whose pigment is
returned if a ray don't encounter anything, not reflective nor transparent, else.

--
Alain
For 20 dollars, I'll give you a good tagline next time ...