POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Override textures/materials? Server Time
16 Apr 2024 06:17:40 EDT (-0400)
  Override textures/materials? (Message 11 to 20 of 31)
From: Bald Eagle
Subject: Re: Override textures/materials?
Date: 18 Jun 2021 15:40:00
Message: <web.60ccf65deaa343741f9dae3025979125@news.povray.org>

> That's a smart idea.

Thanks.  This specific issue has been bouncing around in my head for a long
time.

> You may need to specify `cutaway_textures` though, and I'm not sure
> whether it does indeed work with objects that are already explicitly
> textured.

Yes, I figured I'd get into cutaway_textures if there were problems, as I know
it doesn't always work as I expect it to.

The other idea I had was to use either the object texture, or to turn the object
into an isosurface, which should completely scrub any texture information - CSG
or not - since it's an object that gets generated from scratch.

One other option, albeit more challenging, is to generate a mesh from the object
- like Chris Young did with his Christmas ornament for 3D printing, and use the
resulting mesh.

Post a reply to this message