POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Camera scaling and focal_blur? Server Time
5 May 2024 15:03:11 EDT (-0400)
  Camera scaling and focal_blur? (Message 21 to 28 of 28)
From: Alain
Subject: Re: Camera scaling and focal_blur?
Date: 13 Feb 2018 19:06:34
Message: <5a837d8a$1@news.povray.org>
Le 18-02-12 à 16:03, Mike Horvath a écrit :
> On 2/12/2018 2:02 PM, Alain wrote:
>> Le 18-02-10 à 22:36, Mike Horvath a écrit :
>>> I've been reading this
>>>
>>> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miniature_faking
>>>
>>> and have been wondering how to achieve the effect in POV-Ray.
>>> Obviously, there is no true scale in POV-Ray, so there's no need to
>>> "fake" the effect. But I don't know how to construct the correct camera.
>>>
>>> Any ideas?
>>>

>>> Mike
>>
>> Use a larger aperture. Something like
>> vlength(Camera_Location, Focal_point)/4
>>
>> If that's not enough, use a smaller divisor.
>
> Yeah, I got it working. But it doesn't look as good in POV-Ray as it
> does in photography. I'll post some test renders soon.
>

> MIke

As the ratio aperture/focal_length increase, you also need more samples.
Otherwise, the image will get very noisy.

Post a reply to this message

From: Bald Eagle
Date: 13 Feb 2018 20:55:01
Message: <web.5a8396e13abb6b9e5cafe28e0@news.povray.org>
Can you

a) mimic and actual camera lens with glass / ior?

b) look through a clear sheet that has a perturbation or normal that gets
progressively stronger toward the edges?

c) look though a partially transparent image map of the scene that somehow gets
rotated a little further the farther out toward the edge you get?

d) otherwise use overlapping image maps to imitate the photographic "circle of
confusion"?

Post a reply to this message

> a) mimic and actual camera lens with glass / ior?
>
> b) look through a clear sheet that has a perturbation or normal that gets
> progressively stronger toward the edges?
>
> c) look though a partially transparent image map of the scene that somehow gets
> rotated a little further the farther out toward the edge you get?
>
> d) otherwise use overlapping image maps to imitate the photographic "circle of
> confusion"?

I don't know how to do any of these things. It would probably be easier
to just do post-processing in Photoshop.

Mike

Post a reply to this message

On 2/13/2018 11:39 PM, Mike Horvath wrote:
> On 2/13/2018 8:54 PM, Bald Eagle wrote:
>> Can you
>>
>> a) mimic and actual camera lens with glass / ior?
>>
>> b) look through a clear sheet that has a perturbation or normal that gets
>> progressively stronger toward the edges?
>>
>> c) look though a partially transparent image map of the scene that
>> somehow gets
>> rotated a little further the farther out toward the edge you get?
>>
>> d) otherwise use overlapping image maps to imitate the photographic
>> "circle of
>> confusion"?
>>

> I don't know how to do any of these things. It would probably be easier
> to just do post-processing in Photoshop.
>

> Mike

I forgot about the fact that my scenes have some tall objects, and the
Photoshop post-processing doesn't work properly in cases like this.

Will a transparent glass really make much of a difference?

Mike

Post a reply to this message