POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Memory usage Server Time
28 Mar 2024 18:52:36 EDT (-0400)
  Memory usage (Message 1 to 10 of 10)
From: Mike Horvath
Subject: Memory usage
Date: 30 Jan 2018 14:46:00
Message: <5a70cb78$1@news.povray.org>
There are several programs that convert LDraw models to POV-Ray. I'm
wondering if there are differences in memory usage between the various
types of output. How would I measure the memory usage? Would it be
better to measure peak usage? Average usage over time? Thanks.

Mike

Post a reply to this message

On 1/30/2018 2:46 PM, Mike Horvath wrote:
> There are several programs that convert LDraw models to POV-Ray. I'm
> wondering if there are differences in memory usage between the various
> types of output. How would I measure the memory usage? Would it be
> better to measure peak usage? Average usage over time? Thanks.
>

> Mike

I meant memory usage inside POV-Ray, if I was not clear.

Mike

Post a reply to this message

Le 18-01-30 à 14:46, Mike Horvath a écrit :
> There are several programs that convert LDraw models to POV-Ray. I'm
> wondering if there are differences in memory usage between the various
> types of output. How would I measure the memory usage? Would it be
> better to measure peak usage? Average usage over time? Thanks.
>

> Mike

They all convert to mesh/mesh2 from the same data.
The only difference would be if you perform any subdivision step prior
to the conversion itself.

Post a reply to this message

> Le 18-01-30 à 14:46, Mike Horvath a écrit :
>> There are several programs that convert LDraw models to POV-Ray. I'm
>> wondering if there are differences in memory usage between the various
>> types of output. How would I measure the memory usage? Would it be
>> better to measure peak usage? Average usage over time? Thanks.
>>

>> Mike
>
> They all convert to mesh/mesh2 from the same data.
> The only difference would be if you perform any subdivision step prior
> to the conversion itself.

Okay thanks.

Mike

Post a reply to this message

> Le 18-01-30 à 14:46, Mike Horvath a écrit :
>> There are several programs that convert LDraw models to POV-Ray. I'm
>> wondering if there are differences in memory usage between the various
>> types of output. How would I measure the memory usage? Would it be
>> better to measure peak usage? Average usage over time? Thanks.
>>

>> Mike
>
> They all convert to mesh/mesh2 from the same data.
> The only difference would be if you perform any subdivision step prior
> to the conversion itself.

Some programs can make use of the LGEO parts library; in that case the
result is CSG for any part that is in the library.

For small models, or models that use a gazillion of different parts,
that may be more memory-efficient. Haven't tested it though. The main
advantage of the LGEO parts library is that it is more precise.

Post a reply to this message