POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Microsoft Azure and POV-Ray Server Time
20 Apr 2024 08:37:57 EDT (-0400)
  Microsoft Azure and POV-Ray (Message 11 to 12 of 12)
From: dick balaska
Subject: Re: Microsoft Azure and POV-Ray
Date: 20 Jan 2018 22:47:43
Message: <5a640d5f$1@news.povray.org>
On 01/20/2018 10:32 PM, Mike Horvath wrote:
> I have been looking for a way to perform a lot of single core operations
> remotely. But these cloud services feature some really bad single core
> performance. In the 2GHz range I mean, which is slower than my home PC.
>
> Mike

I think cloud services are geared more towards I/O than cpu intensive
ops. "Read/parse the data - read the database - write the data".

I think you want something more cluster oriented, like a weather
modeling cluster.

--
dik
Rendered 920576 of 921600 pixels (99%)

Post a reply to this message

On 1/20/2018 10:47 PM, dick balaska wrote:
> On 01/20/2018 10:32 PM, Mike Horvath wrote:
>> I have been looking for a way to perform a lot of single core
>> operations remotely. But these cloud services feature some really bad
>> single core performance. In the 2GHz range I mean, which is slower
>> than my home PC.
>>
>> Mike
>
> I think cloud services are geared more towards I/O than cpu intensive
> ops. "Read/parse the data - read the database - write the data".
>
> I think you want something more cluster oriented, like a weather
> modeling cluster.

The tasks need to be performed sequentially, so splitting them up among
a number of machines is not doable.

Mike