POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Colors too dark and washed out Server Time
3 May 2024 11:01:49 EDT (-0400)
  Colors too dark and washed out (Message 11 to 20 of 38)
From: clipka
Subject: Re: Colors too dark and washed out
Date: 23 Nov 2015 12:42:09
Message: <56534ff1$1@news.povray.org>
Am 23.11.2015 um 18:24 schrieb Kenneth:

> Over and above all this, my own eyes (and CRT monitor) tell me that there's
> something not-quite-right about the *greens* in both images; they look a bit
> 'olive'-colored to me. That's just a subjective assessment, of course, but I
> wonder if anyone else sees it that way?

Maybe it is due to the colour space being clipped to sRGB in the output
image?

Post a reply to this message

From: Mike Horvath
Date: 23 Nov 2015 14:59:40
Message: <5653702c$1@news.povray.org>
On 11/23/2015 5:34 AM, Cousin Ricky wrote:
> On 2009 November 10, you posted scene file munsell_color_solid_cie.pov to
> p.b.s-f.  That scene renders what I expect are the correct color intensities,
> notwithstanding the unrealistically high ambient value.

The older scene also looks washed-out to me when rendered in 3.7. I
don't have 3.6 installed at the moment.

Mike

Post a reply to this message

From: Mike Horvath
Date: 23 Nov 2015 15:08:02
Message: <56537222$1@news.povray.org>
On 11/23/2015 3:00 PM, Mike Horvath wrote:
> On 11/23/2015 5:34 AM, Cousin Ricky wrote:
>> On 2009 November 10, you posted scene file munsell_color_solid_cie.pov to
>> p.b.s-f.  That scene renders what I expect are the correct color
>> intensities,
>> notwithstanding the unrealistically high ambient value.
>>

> The older scene also looks washed-out to me when rendered in 3.7. I
> don't have 3.6 installed at the moment.
>

> Mike

Okay, I just re-rendered the scene specifying #version 3.6 instead of
#version 3.7. There is a huge difference! I cannot explain it however. I
don't know why there is such a big difference.

Mike

Post a reply to this message

Am 23.11.2015 um 21:08 schrieb Mike Horvath:

> Okay, I just re-rendered the scene specifying #version 3.6 instead of
> #version 3.7. There is a huge difference! I cannot explain it however. I
> don't know why there is such a big difference.

Specifying "#version 3.6" will put POV-Ray in backward compatibility
mode; among other thins, this will re-activating the "ambient" mechanism
even when radiosity is used, which might explain the difference.

Post a reply to this message

> Am 23.11.2015 um 21:08 schrieb Mike Horvath:
>
>> Okay, I just re-rendered the scene specifying #version 3.6 instead of
>> #version 3.7. There is a huge difference! I cannot explain it however. I
>> don't know why there is such a big difference.
>
> Specifying "#version 3.6" will put POV-Ray in backward compatibility
> mode; among other thins, this will re-activating the "ambient" mechanism
> even when radiosity is used, which might explain the difference.

So, radiosity automatically turns ambient off in 3.7?

Post a reply to this message