POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Aerodynamics question Server Time
16 May 2024 10:19:47 EDT (-0400)
  Aerodynamics question (Message 14 to 23 of 23)
From: Mike Horvath
Subject: Re: Aerodynamics question
Date: 22 Feb 2015 23:12:18
Message: <54eaa8a2$1@news.povray.org>
On 2/22/2015 2:28 PM, Alain wrote:
> Le 15-02-19 03:22, scott a écrit :
>>> The density of hydrogen atom in outer space is variable, but the
>>> pressure is in the nano-pascal ( 10^-9 ) range, and we live in
>>> kilohecto-pascal ( 10^5 ), so the influence of the drag is to be
>>> corrected by at least something like a 10^-14 factor.
>>
>> Drag depends on velocity squared, so that would mean if your velocity
>> was 10^7 times higher than on earth, you would experience a similar
>> level of drag.
>>
>> I have no idea what "interstellar velocities are" though, 10^7 or
>> more? :-)
>>

> The 10^-9 range is for our spacial neigourhood, or relatively close to a
> star. As you travel farther, it drops conciderably. Between the Sun and
> Proxima Centaury, the vacuum around the moon looks like high pressure.
>
> In space, to have a drag equivalent to 100 Km/h on a road, using the
> 10^14 factor for Earth region, you would need to travel at over 100 000
> 000 000 000 Km/h (10^16 Km/h). That's  /way/ faster than the speed of
> light ! (about 10^9 Km/h)
>

> Alain

What about within nebulae?

Post a reply to this message

From: Thomas de Groot
Date: 23 Feb 2015 03:15:11
Message: <54eae18f@news.povray.org>
On 23-2-2015 5:11, Mike Horvath wrote:
> On 2/22/2015 2:34 PM, Alain wrote:
>> The most realistic space fighter I ever saw was the Fury from Babylon 5.
>> NO wings. No profiling. Just bone dry design with a canopy designed only
>> to provide the largest view field as possible.
>
> I thought the corvettes from Independence War were pretty cool.

http://static.giantbomb.com/uploads/scale_small/4/48222/1130546-independencewaruscoverxt6.jpg

Yes, both models exemplify the road taken by more modern (and
realistic?) design.

--
Thomas

Post a reply to this message

From: scott
Date: 23 Feb 2015 03:48:12
Message: <54eae94c$1@news.povray.org>
On 22/02/2015 21:09, Doctor John wrote:
> On 22/02/15 19:28, Alain wrote:
>>
>> The 10^-9 range is for our spacial neigourhood, or relatively close to a
>> star. As you travel farther, it drops conciderably. Between the Sun and
>> Proxima Centaury, the vacuum around the moon looks like high pressure.
>>
>> In space, to have a drag equivalent to 100 Km/h on a road, using the
>> 10^14 factor for Earth region, you would need to travel at over 100 000
>> 000 000 000 Km/h (10^16 Km/h). That's  /way/ faster than the speed of
>> light ! (about 10^9 Km/h)
>>

>> Alain
>
> How the hell did you calculate that? I'm not saying you're wrong -
> you're probably right - but can I see the equations?

Drag force is directly proportional to the fluid density, and velocity
*squared*. So if the density is 10^14 times lower, the velocity "only"
needs to be 10^7 times higher to get the same force. I don't know where
Alain got the 10^16 km/hr from.

But it gets worse, the power (rate of doing work) required to maintain
the velocity against drag equals the drag force times the velocity. So
if you want the same *power* requirement as on Earth, the velocity only
needs to be about 50000 times higher.

Post a reply to this message