POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Field of view and aspect ratio Server Time
16 Apr 2024 13:13:35 EDT (-0400)
  Field of view and aspect ratio (Message 1 to 10 of 11)
From: Bald Eagle
Subject: Field of view and aspect ratio
Date: 28 Aug 2014 09:45:00
Message: <web.53ff32559e117b875e7df57c0@news.povray.org>
I'm trying to wrap my head around what I should use for camera angle settings
when I render for a screen with 1366 x 768 resolution.  It's unclear to me how
the camera angle coupled with the render size determines what is visible, and
what the "correct" proportion should be.

Also, I've noticed with some of my scene renders that the view looks a little
restricted.  Looking at the real world, I'm able to take in a fairly wide view,
and when rendering something similar, it has that severely cropped feeling.

I've played with the camera angle, and notice that above a certain value (80-90
deg as far as I can tell) I start to get a tunnel-like distortion.

I'm looking to experiment with rendering some scenes that more closely mimic a
"real" field of view, and was wondering if anyone has any recommendations for
giving a better sense of space to the scenes.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Field_of_view

Humans have an almost 180-degree forward-facing horizontal field of view, ....

.... binocular vision, which is important for depth perception, covers only 114
degrees (horizontally) of the field of vision in humans;[2] the remaining
peripheral 60-70 degrees have no binocular vision (because only one eye can see
those parts of the field of view).

I have the feeling that I'd need to balance image size, aspect ratio, camera
angle, and probably add some focal blurring (which I have yet to even try).

Thoughts?  Suggestions?  Fait accompli examples?

Thanks

Post a reply to this message